PDA

View Full Version : Ripping compilations overwrites original song

MarkBr1
01-06-2010, 04:51 PM
When I rip a compilation or greatest hits album it overwrites any original songs I had previously ripped and ruins that original albums structure.

By way of example, if I had ripped Michael Jacksons Thriller and then ripped his greatest hits, when I use Songbook to play the Thriller album all the best songs are missing - I need to find them in the hits album.

The only way I can resolve this is by re-ripping the Thriller album.

I have a RipNAS unit with the latest Asset UPnP, ripping FLAC for a Linn DS controlled by Songbook. I also have plenty of drive space so am happy to have multiple copies of a song if that fixes it. Any help truly appreciated.

garym
01-06-2010, 05:35 PM
This sounds like you are ripping all songs of an artist to a single artist directory. Is this the case? You should instead be ripping to (for example, assuming D:\MUSIC is the location of all your files)

D:\MUSIC\Michael Jackson\Thriller\....all tracks from thriller album
D:\MUSIC\Michael Jackson\Greatest Hits\....all tracks from greatest hits albums

Seems like you are ripping everything to:

D:\MUSIC\Michael Jackson\.....all tracks from all albums.

I think in the latter case, you'll be overwriting songs perhaps.....

MarkBr1
01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes you are correct, they are going into the same artist folder. If I change it to rip to artist\album which I think I can work out, does this mean I have to re-rip all my CD’s again to get them in order? Or is there any easier way (fingers crossed).

garym
01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Yes you are correct, they are going into the same artist folder. If I change it to rip to artist\album which I think I can work out, does this mean I have to re-rip all my CD’s again to get them in order? Or is there any easier way (fingers crossed).

Just create the directory structure you want and copy (move) the files into the correct album subdirectory. of course if you have overwritten song files, you'll need to rerip those.....

Wayne
01-07-2010, 04:12 AM
You could download and install the Arrange Music codec. This will reorganise your music files using the naming schema you supply and the tag information held in the files.

MarkBr1
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Many thanks for the advice - I have downloaded the the Arrange Music codec but can't work out where the programme sits to use - appologies if it is really obvious... we all have to start somewhere :)

Spoon
01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
You would normally use Batch Converter, select all your files and >> Convert To >> [Arrange Audio]

Becareful using this, test on a few files first.

MarkBr1
01-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Many thanks worked a treat