PDA

View Full Version : full random playback mode

Pickwick
01-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Hello all,

I recently bought a Sonos ZP90 and wanted to look a little bit into the UPnP-support. I didn't get Windows Media Play running yet, but Asset seems to work just fine, at least with the desktop controller. What I'm looking for is the ability to play some random tracks of my complete library without creating my own playlist. The Sonos is not capable of creating a playlist holding all my songs to allow me to run a truly random playback from all of them. A workmate of me owns a Squeezebox and told me that the server is generating for example a 10 track "buffer" with randomly chosen songs of his playlist and those are played and rechosen if empty. That's something I see could be possible with Sonos, too, but it seems to me that Asset just supports the manual creation of playlists by his filters, right? If that's true, is anything like a random playback in the pipelin or even possible?

Spoon
01-02-2010, 08:25 AM
It is up to the control point in upnp to implement this, the server is actually unaware of the player until it requests an actual file to play.

Pickwick
01-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Are you aware of any control point implementing such functionality besides Squeezebox? Which software do you use as control point for example?

Spoon
01-03-2010, 04:17 AM
I am not aware of any, hence why we are writing our own...

Pickwick
01-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks, sounds like software in motion and I'll wait until my Sonos' limits are reached. :-)

steverose
01-06-2010, 08:27 PM
PlugPlayer for the iPhone and iPod Touch works pretty good as a wireless control point for Asset. Especially good considering its a $4.99 app.