PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic option and multiple users

Balthazar-B
12-24-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm currently in the eval period with dbPowerAmp Reference, and have one question before I pull the trigger on a purchase:

I'm running it on an XP Pro box. Installed the application under an admin account, and using that account I appear to have full functionality. Following info in other threads, I expanded permissions to the right directories (install folder, destination folders) to local Users, but when I log into a local account without admin privileges and try using Multi Encoder with the Flac and AAC encoders, in both cases the Dynamic options are greyed out.

Now I understand there's no Dynamic option if the install is not Reference, so my question is whether dbPowerAmp thinks any non-admin account (or an account that did not install the application) is by definition *not* running the Reference version.

The scenario I'd like this to support is to have my wife and I tag team on ripping our huge CD collection to a common repository, but under our own non-admin accounts on the same workstation. Will this not work, or how do I tweak the install/config so that it does?

Thanks!

Spoon
12-24-2009, 03:57 PM
The registered version is registered in the actual code, so does not matter which user account is used.

Balthazar-B
12-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! So what else might account for the Dynamic options being greyed out for a non-admin user but not an admin user? To be a little more specific, with the non-admin user, I can set the destination folder, but regardless of where it is (even \My Documents\My Music), Dynamic is not editable. Now this is using Multi Encoder. If I just choose a Flac codec, I can set the destination path and then edit the filename format via the Set button with the Naming field.

I saw in a thread somewhere that you suggested granting admin rights to a user temporarily, installing the application, doing a quick test rip, then reverting rights back to simple user. Would this mean installing twice on the same machine under two different accounts (and having user-specific info written to respective HKCU hives)?

Spoon
12-24-2009, 05:54 PM
If you have a trial of Reference, the trial is activated only in the local account.

Balthazar-B
12-25-2009, 09:40 AM
An update: I did as was recommended elsewhere and installed dbPowerAmp under the second ID (elevated to Admin) and all the Dynamic options were there in CD Ripper. I haven't reverted to Limited permissions yet, but for now both user accounts are working properly. I'll post an update when I revert the user account and do some experimentation.

The bits for both installs are common to C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\, but I'm surmising that something is written to each user's HKCU hive that fixes Dynamic (and who knows what else).

Thanks again for your responses over the holidays!