PDA

View Full Version : Fast-forward and rewind support

tillig
11-24-2009, 10:05 PM
I have Asset installed on my Windows Home Server and it works well to get my music over to my Xbox 360 and PS3. I have unsupported formats being transcoded to LPCM.

I noticed that fast-forward and rewind don't work (the buttons are disabled) in both systems. I can skip to different tracks, but I can't FF/RW inside a track.

Is that expected?

Other than that, Asset is my savior. Really great product. Thanks!

Spoon
12-02-2009, 05:45 AM
Using Asset v2? What about with natively supported formats, such as mp3, can you ff in those?

tillig
12-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I tested last night using an Xbox 360 and a PS3, all with the latest updates. I played an Apple Lossless file with transcoding and an MP3 file that isn't being transcoded. I'm using Asset v2 on Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3 installed.

On LPCM, the Xbox 360 plays both the ALAC and MP3 files. Neither allows fast-forward or rewind options. The PS3 was able to see the list of artists/albums/etc that Asset generates but never found any actual songs in any of the containers.

On WAVE I got the same results: Xbox 360 plays both files but neither allowed fast-forward or rewind. Again, the PS3 saw all the containers but never found any actual files.

I didn't have time to try MP3 transcoding. I also didn't reindex the library (though I did restart the Asset service when prompted as I changed the Advanced Options to switch transcoding formats). I didn't reboot the Windows Home Server, either.

I'm guessing that Xbox 360 doesn't allow ff/rw on remote audio sources. I could be wrong. Admittedly, I didn't test that out when I first installed Asset - I was just amazed I could get my Apple Lossless stuff to play.

Anyway, not sure if I should start a different forum thread about the PS3 issue or not. Also not sure if other folks have seen the ff/rw issue.

tillig
01-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Rebooting the WHS fixed the "PS3 not finding tracks" issue. No FF/RW support, though. Oh well.