PDA

View Full Version : Sony XL1B Hangs

spud440
10-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Help!! I have purchased dBpoweramp and installed it along with batch ripper, and the Sony XL1B driver. Loads CDs fine moves around through the CDs fine. The problem I'm having is after I start a batch rip it might get through 5-10 disks O.K. and then it starts slowing down to one CD/hour then the next disk might only take 5min. or so then the next two could take 2hrs. The batch ripper finds all of the meta data OK then on some songs/CDs it slow down to a snails pace. The CDs are in good condition, so that should not be the issue. I can rip the same CD in WMP in about 3min. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I've been through all of the settings and think I have them all set-up properly. Please any help would be appreciated. P.S. I have gone through alot of other threads/posts and couldn't find anything similar. Also I am using a 6pin firewire to 4pin firewire to run this to my laptop. Could this be an issue???? I wouldn't think so because some songs/CDs rip fine. Also I think the other two pins in the firewire are for power to some devices. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sredmyer
10-10-2009, 10:49 PM
You say you can rip the same disc in WMP in 3 minutes. Is that rip also done using the Sony XL1B or some other drive?

spud440
10-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Yes, that is with a different drive. I have switched to burst mode with better luck and it seems to be working fine. Just thought after reading set-up and other posts I should be using secure mode. Seems like secure mode is the hang up or maybe I have a setting set incorrectly in secure mode.

sredmyer
10-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Yes, that is with a different drive. I have switched to burst mode with better luck and it seems to be working fine. Just thought after reading set-up and other posts I should be using secure mode. Seems like secure mode is the hang up or maybe I have a setting set incorrectly in secure mode.

Yes you want to use secure mode if possible. In secure mode the software makes attempts to identify and correct disc read errors by re-reading the problem area until it gets a good read. In burst mode no such attempts are made.

This gives us some insight into what is likely happening with when you use secure mode. Although I believe the drive in the Sony unit reports that it supports C2 pointers, the dbp software has problems using them over the devices Firewire connection. So what is likely happening for you is that the software is going like mad trying to re-read virtualy every frame on the problem tracks due to invalid C2 data.

Bottom line, turn off C2 error checking, in the secure options, and I bet your problem goes away.

fphredd
10-12-2009, 08:46 AM
I used this http://winhlp.com/node/10 as recommended by bhoar when I had a similar issue. I don't know if it applies to your current problem, but it solved mine quickly.

sredmyer
10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
I used this http://winhlp.com/node/10 as recommended by bhoar when I had a similar issue. I don't know if it applies to your current problem, but it solved mine quickly.

I am not sure (someone will correct me if I am wrong) but I do not believe the DMA/PIO issues applies here due to the nature of the drives firewire connection.

fphredd
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
I am not sure (someone will correct me if I am wrong) but I do not believe the DMA/PIO issues applies here due to the nature of the drives firewire connection.

Hence the "I don't know if it applies to your current problem" part of my reply... ;)

spud440
10-16-2009, 08:31 AM
I will try turning off C2 pointers later tonight and let you know if this helps solve the problem.

spud440
10-19-2009, 09:25 PM
I turned off C2 Pointers and I still get the same results....... Anyone have any other ideas I could try?? I've been through every setting that I can find and nothing seems to make a difference.