PDA

View Full Version : USB or Firewire Bridge with good C2 support

EliC
09-12-2009, 06:58 PM
I need to get a new USB or Firewire bridge (IDE) and am hoping for some recs on a bridge with good C2 transmission.

bhoar
09-15-2009, 07:09 PM
I need to get a new USB or Firewire bridge (IDE) and am hoping for some recs on a bridge with good C2 transmission.

Does it need to screw into the centronics cutout on the back of the unit? If so, you're going to pay a lot ($40-$90) for a high-end bridge which is probably the same chipset as a cheap bridge ($15-$30) but more expensive due to the form factor.

Myself, I'd try jerry-rigging some other USB or firewire bridge you have (e.g. in an external hard or optical drive case) to work with the drive (with the case open) and test the C2 capabilities. If it works, figure out what chipset it is and buy the cheapest one that fits there physically.

Note that some USB bridges require external power (cable or header) and some can run off the USB power itself. I'd hazard a guess that all general purpose chipsets produced today probably work.

-brendan

EliC
09-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Im going to be using it in a Composer 62000. I don't even know what the connection was on the old drive. The robot MB has power for the drive. There is a large whole in the back for the old interface. So ideally I would like one that is self powered via the usb. Any recs on models would be appreciated. OK with sticking with cheaper as long as they work.

bhoar
09-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Im going to be using it in a Composer 62000. I don't even know what the connection was on the old drive. The robot MB has power for the drive. There is a large whole in the back for the old interface. So ideally I would like one that is self powered via the usb. Any recs on models would be appreciated. OK with sticking with cheaper as long as they work.

All I can do is point to my aborted attempt to categorize bridges here, but these are all ancient: http://hyperdiscs.pbworks.com/Hardware+--+Bridges

But why not buy a contemporary USB-powered USB to IDE bridge and try it out? They aren't very expensive if you don't buy the centronics-specific ones: http://www.google.com/products?q=usb+ide&oe=utf-8&scoring=p

(or similar for USB to SATA)

-brendan

GuitarCrazyo
11-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I would buy a Firewire card to be honest, its pointless spending a lot on USB mixer when you know that you could just get a Firewire card and a Firewire mixer better for a bit more