PDA

View Full Version : which NAS for Asset ?

musicnut
09-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Is it possible to install Asset UPnP on either a Qnap 209 or a Netgear Duo NAS ? If not , are there any stand alone NAS that Asset can be installed on ?

Spoon
09-11-2009, 04:11 PM
If you are not aware, Asset appears on the RipNAS (www.ripnas.com) as default.

Or you can choose any Windows Home Server NAS device (such as HP Media Smart, etc).

musicnut
09-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Thanks Spoon,

The RipNas looks great, but I need to use a standalone NAS. I presume that there is no way of installing it on a Linux NAS, such as the Netgear or Qnap.

Spoon
09-12-2009, 08:14 AM
No, they have very limited processing power and memory.

musicnut
09-12-2009, 10:20 AM
OK, you've convinced me to buy a WHS 4bay, 4 x 1 TB NAS that I can install Asset on. The question is, which one ?

musicnut
09-12-2009, 11:33 AM
The Tranquil SQA-5H-2000 looks a good bet. Is it easy to install Asset on it and is it a good buy ?

Spoon
09-12-2009, 04:40 PM
As a company we cannot recommend any Tranquil boxes - if I had to buy one right now it would be the acer easystore:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=Acer+AH340&_sacat=See-All-Categories

musicnut
09-13-2009, 03:02 AM
Thanks Spoon, I'll take your advice. All I need to do now is research where I can buy the Acer and the best price.

TomP
09-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks Spoon, I'll take your advice. All I need to do now is research where I can buy the Acer and the best price.
I think Spoon is not recommending it because they stopped using dbPoweramp on their integrated ripper WHS's, which I did have a demo of one (Ava RS3) and it didn't seem to rip very well.

However I have the (non-Ripper) SQA-5H-2000 and bought RipNAS Essentials which works very well (apart form the inbuilt occasional quirks of dbPowerAmp track mis-naming), so you can have the best of all worlds, a much higher spec (than the Acer). Try ripcaster.co.uk who will set up the whole lot for you (I did).

Regards...TomP

musicnut
09-19-2009, 08:30 AM
This all seems a bit academic, since I haven't found anywhere in the UK that has the Acer Aspire Easystore H340 in stock ! The product looks great, the reviews are great, it's just that you can't buy it ! Can you help, Spoon ?

Spoon
09-22-2009, 03:41 AM
Import?

tlchow
11-06-2009, 07:55 PM
If you are not aware, Asset appears on the RipNAS (www.ripnas.com) as default.

Or you can choose any Windows Home Server NAS device (such as HP Media Smart, etc).

Hi spoon - I'm technologically adverse so silly question :o- does Asset function as a media server? If so, why would you need to install Asset when I presume the HP has a media server built in? Reason I ask is that a Linn forum member uses a Buffalo Linkstation Live with a built-in media server which is says works well with Kinsky Desktop. I would like to use the NAS with an itouch on which I've loaded plugplayer.

Could you run through a simple step by step procedure on loading Asset and getting it to function with an i touch for a Linn DS? Would be much appreciated!? Still running it directly from a laptop so start up time is tedious:(.

Thank you

TL

Spoon
11-07-2009, 02:45 PM
If you are happy with Twonky on the HP, but there are many who are not, hence why we created Asset - we had the choice to license Twonky, but took the decision to write our own, because we were far from impressed.