PDA

View Full Version : Asset UPnP on Bravia TV setup problem

Alfaman
09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi

I am trying to get Asset UPnP (current beta version) to work from a Vista PC to a Sony Bravia KDL-40W4500 TV that is dlna certified.

Before I installed Asset I could see and play my music files over the network on the TV and browse what looks like the Windows Media Player library, playlist etc. With Asset installed it is showing up under Network in Vista as a media device as is my PC/user name as a second media device. In Windows Media Player library Asset shows up on the left under Library with a small networked PC icon.

When I look for Assets on the TV it is missing but the network diagnostics on the TV finds it with ip no., port no.etc. but with the problem "Compatible files could not be found" and will not list it to browse. The TV is seeing it OK but can find no files. Asset is pointing at the same folder as Media Player library. Have I missed something in the setup or has anyone used it on a Sony TV before?

Sorry for being long-winded..

Spoon
09-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Try v2 of Asset (in the beta section of this forum)

Alfaman
09-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Yes I have that version running - version: release 2 (beta)

chrisrd
11-27-2009, 10:18 PM
I've just received my RipNAS and am also trying to use my Sony Bravia 40Z4500 with Asset (Release 2) without success. The devices are joined via hard-wired ethernet and both are pingable from my laptop.

If I go into 'Server Display Settings' in the TV setup area I get:

Servers cannot be recognised.
Please check the connections,
press OPTIONS key and select "Update List".

Going into "Update List" as suggested produces the same message.

Using the 'Server Diagnostics' on the TV I get:

Asset UPnP: RIPNAS Failed

If I turn on Media Library Sharing on the RipNAS I also get:

RIPNAS: 1 : Windows Media Connect Failed

The 'RIPNAS' part of the diagnostics indicates the TV is able to see the RipNAS.

Any hints on how to further diagnose this problem? (If it helps running any diagnostics etc., my laptop is running Ubuntu 9.04).

chrisrd
11-27-2009, 11:42 PM
I've just received my RipNAS and am also trying to use my Sony Bravia 40Z4500 with Asset (Release 2) without success.

As a reference point, the Bravia works with DLNA from my Ubuntu laptop using minidlna:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/

Spoon
11-28-2009, 07:01 AM
There will be an update for Asset v3 (in the beta section of our forum) next week which passes all the DLNA compliance tests. It might help.

chrisrd
12-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Using the 'Server Diagnostics' on the TV I get:

Asset UPnP: RIPNAS Failed

As a further note: I found that I can click on this 'Failed' line and get some more info:

-----
Compatible files could not be found.

Server Asset UPnP: RIPNAS
UDN uuid:1006065e5-<<<more>>>
IP Address 192.168.<<<more>>
MAC Address 00:1c:<<<more>>>
TCP Port 26125
-----

This is with Asset configured to use a test directory containing a single mp3 file.

There will be an update for Asset v3 (in the beta section of our forum) next week which passes all the DLNA compliance tests. It might help.

I downloaded Asset v3 BETA today to test this but unfortunately with no success.

Spoon
12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
The sony might be going in through a search into UPnP, try enabling the debug option in Asset Configuration, let the sony try to connect then see if the log can show anything.

chrisrd
12-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Nothing in the log at all I'm afraid.

Spoon
12-04-2009, 04:46 AM
The log was totally empty?

chrisrd
12-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Yup. Size zero.

....hmmm, that's odd. If I turn off the 'Output Debug Log' flag, and after Asset restarts itself, the debug log has:

Triggering Database Rescan (MediaFoldersWatch.txt changed)

Turning on the flag again, the log size goes back to zero.

AndrewFG
05-27-2010, 12:04 PM
I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40W4500. Yesterday I tried it with Asset v2.1 Release and the latest v3 Beta both running on Windows XP SP3. And in both cases I experienced exactly the same problem as the OP did. I see this thread has been dead for sometime, so I wonder if there is any other news?

Spoon
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
It seems to be that Sony TV which is having trouble detecting it, the Sony PS3 has no such problem.

AndrewFG
05-27-2010, 05:57 PM
It seems to be that Sony TV which is having trouble detecting it, the Sony PS3 has no such problem.

I think that the Discovery part of the UPnP process is working, since the Sony TV does seem to discover your server. So my guess is that when the Sony tries to download your UPnP/DLNA Device Description Document or SCPD, it is detecting a syntax error in your XML payload (or maybe in the HTTP headers)...

In a day or two, I will install a network sniffer, and send you some captures of what your server is sending vs. what other servers are sending. So that you can perhaps determine the missing syntax element...

AndrewFG
05-30-2010, 05:51 PM
I will install a network sniffer, and send you some captures of what your server is sending vs. what other servers are sending. So that you can perhaps determine the missing syntax element...

Ok. Here are the first few bugs that I found so far in Asset:

1) Asset is not responding to valid UPnP M-SEARCH requests. This means that the official UPnP certification test tool cannot even find Asset so the tool cannot even start the test suite on it...

2) In Asset's device descriptor document there are at least three syntax errors:
- in <iconList> it is providing references to two <mimetype>image/jpeg</mimetype> icons, but in both cases the actual icons that it delivers are BMPs
- the <eventSubURL> ends in event.xml; but this is a url for HTTP POST so properly this should not be a file name
- ditto for the the <controlURL> ...

Spoon
05-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Just ran asset through the intel upnp test tools, a few minor things, such as:

M-SEARCH Response time not choosing Random interval based on MX value

But msearch passed.

Spoon
05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
What is the exact url for one of the iconlist items?

AndrewFG
05-31-2010, 06:09 PM
What is the exact url for one of the iconlist items?

<url>/images/platinum-48x48.jpg</url>

and

<url>/images/platinum-120x120.jpg</url>

AndrewFG
06-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Just ran asset through the intel upnp test tools, a few minor things, such as:

M-SEARCH Response time not choosing Random interval based on MX value

But msearch passed.

Ok. I will check my test setup again. I am rather busy at the moment so I will get back to you in 2..3 days...

Spoon
06-01-2010, 05:34 AM
>>/images/platinum-48x48.jpg

These are JPGs, atleast in our source code they are and they are passed out as is. You could paste the link into Internet Explorer then save as the image and it will be jpg.

AndrewFG
06-01-2010, 06:29 PM
>>/images/platinum-48x48.jpg

These are JPGs, atleast in our source code they are and they are passed out as is. You could paste the link into Internet Explorer then save as the image and it will be jpg.

Sorry, you may think that is a JPG in your source code. But in Internet explorer it is served as a BMP. See attached screenshots. Or test it yourself...

http://www.whitebear.ch/images/Untitled.png
http://www.whitebear.ch/images/Untitled1.png

AndrewFG
06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
But msearch passed.

Ok, the following is the feedback I get from the UPnP Certification Test Tool v1.5

Cert Tool Debug: Selected Search Type is MediaServer:1
Cert Tool Debug: IP Protocol used for MSearch: IPv4
Cert Tool Debug: Starting Search........
Cert Tool Debug: Search Target: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1
Cert Tool Debug: Searching for urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1

Cert Tool Debug: Sending MSearch Request:

M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1
Host: 239.255.255.250:1900
Man: "ssdp:discover"
MX: 10
ST: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1

Cert Tool Debug: Message:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
CACHE-CONTROL: max-age=1800
Server: UPnP/1.0, DLNADOC/1.50, Platinum/0.5.4.0
EXT:
USN: uuid:3efb380b-75d9-4b5f-abcd-123456789abc::urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1
ST: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1

Cert Tool Debug: MSearch Response Header Error. Details : SERVER Header value =
UPnP/1.0, DLNADOC/1.50, Platinum/0.5.4.0 is Not Compliant to UDA V1.0
Cert Tool Debug: Search Done.....

As you can see, Asset fails the first M-SEARCH because the SERVER header is not compliant i.e. incorrectly formatted...

According to the UDA, the correct response is as follows:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
CACHE-CONTROL: max-age = seconds until advertisement expires
DATE: when response was generated
EXT:
SERVER: OS/version UPnP/1.0 product/version
ST: search target
USN: advertisement UUID

And the following is a detailed description of SERVER header from the UDA:

SERVER
Required. Concatenation of OS name, OS version, UPnP/1.0, product name, and product version. Specified by UPnP vendor. String. Must accurately reflect the version number of the UPnP Device Architecture supported by the device. Control points must be prepared to accept a higher version number than the control point itself implements. For example, control points implementing UDA version 1.0 will be able to interoperate with devices implementing UDA version 1.1.

Unfortunately when a device fails the first M-SEARCH test, the UPnP Certification Test Tool v1.5 is unable to proceed with any further tests. => If you can fix this and send me a revised BETA version, then I can run the remainder of the tests for you...

AndrewFG
06-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Just in case you are wondering, the UPnP Certification Test Tool v1.5, is the official tool for certifying whether a device is UPnP compliant. Depending on the type of device it runs about 70..80 tests on the device. And unfortunately at the moment, Asset does not even even get past test step 0 (Sorry to be so blunt. But I can help you to fix it...)

Spoon
06-03-2010, 10:34 AM
CTT is known to us, Illustrate is a member of DLNA. I will run Asset through CTT v1.5 just as soon as DLNA process our request for the content (we have ctt, but not the media for it), so it is on the road-map to pass through soon.

You were right about jpg being given out as bmp, the next update will fix this.

AndrewFG
06-03-2010, 10:48 AM
we have ctt, but not the media for it

I am not sure what you mean by "the media" ?

If you are referring to the XML Data Files for Testing, then you can download them freely from upnp.org: http://upnp.org/specs/av/av1/

With CTT and these XML files you have everything that you need to test your device.

Spoon
06-03-2010, 04:21 PM
To run the tests you require lots of example mp3, lpcm, mpg files, these we have to wait for.

AndrewFG
06-04-2010, 02:54 AM
To run the tests you require lots of example mp3, lpcm, mpg files, these we have to wait for.

Perhaps we are talking about two different tools:

1) There is a CTT provided by UPnP.org which tests the device's basic compliance with the syntax and semantics of the UPnP Adressing, Discovery, Description, Control, and Eventing specifications. This tool does not test the actual media streaming or transcoding. It does not need any media for running the tests, because it only tests the HTTP, SOAP, GENA, SSDP and XML parts of the transactions. I have this tool, so I know it quite well.

2) There is another CTT provided by DLNA.org that tests the device in some areas where DLNA applies a more stringent interpretation of the UPnP norm than UPnP.org itself does. I don't have this tool, so I don't know it that well. But from what you say, it presumably also tests content browsing, media streaming, and transcoding functions with real media.

For your device to be DLNA compliant, it must pass the tests of BOTH of these CTTs.

ServerBaboon
06-08-2010, 03:42 PM
If it's any help I can post some Netmon capture files and asset logs.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL40EX503 TV which finds Asset but fails to connect. Selecting Info it says no compatible files.

Ripnas essentials with the latest Asset Beta 5/6/2010 (or 6/5/2010 to you:smile2:).

Just tried some diags and info with Asset Debug enabled and nothing appears in the asset log file.

Spoon
06-08-2010, 04:49 PM
I think the next update of Asset v3 BETA (about 1-2 weeks) will fix this.

Spoon
06-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Updated, the Sony TV should now be supported.

ServerBaboon
06-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Sorry still does not work for me.

Will try and capture some logs tomorrow.

ServerBaboon
06-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Sent a netmon capture of my Sony tv searching for upnp servers.

IF sees asset but says no compatible files.

Tried with Flac 'raw', mapped as wav, mp3 and lpm with no success.

As a check the version in properties of asset-upnp.exe is 2.9.9.9.

ServerBaboon
06-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Restarted again downloading the latest Asset Beta again reset various bits and it does now work. (Must have got confused in the versions I have downloaded)

Works with Flac native (displayed as lcpm) , Flac as MP3 and Flac as lpcm.

Does not understand replay gain though.

I B Listening
07-21-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm having the same issue with my Song Blu Ray BDP-BX37 (S370).

I'm running Asset UPnP under Windows XP. I've gotten some other media players to work (Mezzmo,Twonky, and WMP11), but they don't have the awesome (A-Z) indexed menus!

MY PS3 sees the Asset UPnP just fine. The Blu-Ray sees it, but the connection fails and the Sony error message tells me to check my Firewall settings. I tried with the Firewall turned off but the problem doesn't go away.

p.s. I found the v3 Beta - All is good with the world! thanx