PDA

View Full Version : Batch Ripping & Primera Composer Pro

vhaines
09-03-2009, 05:59 AM
Hi there

First of all, just wanted to say how impressed I am with all the different software products from Illustrate.

Now, onto my question/problems...

Like a lot of other people, my CD collection has grown over the years. I started ripping myself manually some time ago, but never seemed to keep on top of things given the rate at which I buy new music! I had someone batch encode for me across multiple machines, but the files came back in different rates, different style tags and so on.

I considered one of the commercial services in the UK, but the pricing put me off - especially as I'm likely to encode again at some point in the near future.

So, I went and bought some hardware, a Primera Compose Pro, and have started to play around with a few different packages to see which I like best.

I've installed R13.3 and I can see the two drives on the Primera.

Batch Ripper 1.2 has also been installed, and then the Composer-Loader file.

When I test the connection to the loader (using the defaults 14400 baud etc), it occasionally will move the arm and open the tray, but not all the time.

Is this the correct baud rate?

Now, I know everything works because I've tried another product which happily talks to the unit and rips away quite happily. Clearly, some settings need to be changed - I'm just not sure what and where.

My preference is to use the db software, along with the server based product with watch folders. Makes a lot of sense with the number of discs I have and the formats I need them in.

Sorry to ask such basic questions, but would love to get this up and running.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in the right direction!

Vince

bhoar
09-03-2009, 08:34 AM
So, I went and bought some hardware, a Primera Compose Pro, and have started to play around with a few different packages to see which I like best.

I've installed R13.3 and I can see the two drives on the Primera.

Batch Ripper 1.2 has also been installed, and then the Composer-Loader file.

When I test the connection to the loader (using the defaults 14400 baud etc), it occasionally will move the arm and open the tray, but not all the time.

Is this the correct baud rate?

Now, I know everything works because I've tried another product which happily talks to the unit and rips away quite happily. Clearly, some settings need to be changed - I'm just not sure what and where.

My preference is to use the db software, along with the server based product with watch folders. Makes a lot of sense with the number of discs I have and the formats I need them in.

Sorry to ask such basic questions, but would love to get this up and running.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in the right direction!

Vince

I believe 14400 is the baud rate for the Composer series. Make sure all five command lines are using to the same comport and comspeed settings.

What specific drives are in the unit? Is the drive connection firewire, USB or SCSI?

Can you us the CD Ripper (not Batch Ripper) to rip correctly if you manually load a drive?

To begin with, I suggest only configuring a single drive, specifically the right hand drive. Get that working, then we can talk about the left drive.

If that doesn't work, try adding --olddrives to all five of the command lines (this is needed for some drives).

When testing the Batch Ripper configuration using the composer driver, you must first use the Pre-Load test, then Load, then Unload, then Post-Load. In that order.

If you ever want to reset the driver settings to the default, select the driver for Auto Eject - Manual Load, then reselect the Primera Composer driver. I find this useful when I'm not sure if I happened to introduce a typo, or erase a part of the line that was required.

-brendan

vhaines
04-03-2010, 07:40 AM
OK, so after a long time in hospital and then working away from home, I finally get to play with the toys again...

So this is what I have been able to check thus far.

1. COM port and speed are correct.
2. Pioneer DVR-216D. e-sata interface to drives, USB to serial interface to composer.
3. CD-Ripper works fine with single drive.
4. Single drive *almost* works in batch ripper mode.

Sometimes it will not load a disk, othertimes it reports there is a comms error with the unit. It's not conistent - but has done 3 - 5 disks before stopping.

If both drives are enabled, it does not work at all.

BTW, if a disc fails for some reason, it dumps it at the front of the unit - but the composer has no failed output hopper....!

As a reference, EncodeCenter from GD3 works without issue, but the CD lookup is inferior.

Would really love to get this working ASAP, as my CD collection has grown considerably!!!!

Am willing to make a contribution for someones time if they can get this working.

Vince