PDA

View Full Version : PC Runs Slowly & Songs Drop Out

Wammer
09-01-2009, 06:56 AM
I recently switched from Twonky to Asset UPnP and have been really impressed by the flexibility it offers me. However, I am experiencing problems. At times my PC runs very slowly - for example, I can wait several seconds between typing a word and seeing it appear on screen - and I have experienced songs dropping out for several seconds on my Linn Sneaky DS before resuming playback. I suspect the problems may be linked as I found that my PC had virtually locked up today immediately after experiencing drop outs.

I am running Asset as a service on my Windows XP PC with my music stored on a second hard disk on the PC. Playback is via the Sneaky using Kinsky Desktop and/or PlugPlayer.

Spoon
09-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Install Asset v2 (beta section of this forum) - there on the first page of the configuration program it shows the status of asset, realistically only a rescan of the library would cause the system to be 'busy'.

Also looking at task manager (start >> run: taskmgr) look at performance and keep an eye on the CPU usage, if it is 100% or 50% (on a dual core) then something is not right.

To me though it sounds like the system is low on memory and memory is being swapped in and out of the hdd swap file. Again Task Manager will show how much memory is in use.

Wammer
09-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks for replying so swiftly. I'll install the beta version and see how it goes.

My PC has a dual-core procesor and 3gb of RAM so should be more than capable of coping. I shall keep a closer eye on task manager if the problem re-occurs, though, and let you know.