PDA

View Full Version : Starting programming in vc++

biboun
02-24-2003, 09:08 PM
Hi, i'm a student in computer science, i h've learnt many languages: but just a little bit of c++. We have a project to do with opengl and vc++. the problem is that the teacher has given us an example on a basic program in vc++ and has told us to use it and to begin opengl programming (so we haven't the time to analyse the "vc++" code) But i'm interesting in programming in vc++(api). So i don't know, considering that i know nothing about vc++ except "c" syntaxe and object notion, if i can begin to learn vc++ programming: dc, handle, HWND hwndDlg, are some words i 'hve ever seen but which i really don't understand. i have the feeling that it will take me a lot of time to learn it, so i don"t really know what to do. Moreover, with the new project of microsoft "paladium"i don't know if the api programming or things i could learn, will be useless if their project is realised. i'm 20 years old, i think i will still study for 3 years.
I think also that the things i could learn can be usefull if i have to learn another api.
I'm waiting for our advices or comment.
thank you

Spoon
02-25-2003, 03:57 AM
It is not really VC++ api, as the C++ is transportable to any C++ version (classes, etc). It is more to do with Windows API, all the terms you mentioned are windows api. You might be better learning C* from Visual Studio.net

biboun
02-25-2003, 01:19 PM
i don't really know the c* language. I know that is like java and c++, but that's all. Do you think i can program windows api with the c*. Why do you think it's might be better?
thank you

Spoon
02-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Those that program the Windows API are a dieing breed (like me), for it takes about 100 lines of code to put up a window with a button. V* handles all that for you, depends what you want to do in the end.

biboun
02-26-2003, 05:23 AM
ok thank you. i think i'll try c*

daren
03-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Hi Spoon,

Is C* more a RAD environment than VC++?? ...a bit like Borland
Builder and Delphi...?

Daren.

Spoon
03-03-2003, 05:27 PM
Yes, it is RAD - infact the lead guy on it was the guy who wrote delphi.

2 Problems with Studio.net - has quite large system file baggage that needs to be installed and for me at least (maybe the programs I write) the RAD framework can get in the way, it would be good to create the CD Audio Input selection page, but no good for dAPs Main Amp.

auenf
03-04-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Spoon
2 Problems with Studio.net - has quite large system file baggage that needs to be installed and for me at least (maybe the programs I write) the RAD framework can get in the way, it would be good to create the CD Audio Input selection page, but no good for dAPs Main Amp.

the .net framework runtime you are talking about, and no OS currently shipping (maybe Windows .net (2003) server(s) excluded) comes with the .net framework built in. which is very annoying for users to have to download a lot of crap ;) (even the VB runtimes are quite large)

I'm personally going to join the dying breed when i get around to programming with the DX9 SDK.

Enf...