PDA

View Full Version : shutdown

Unregistered
05-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Hi,
I run Win98se in ATX case with shutdown prob. Used to shut down automatically but now stops at "It is now safe to turn your computer off" screen. Have tried all power options both in control panel and in BIOS with no luck.
I downloaded the "Shutdown" prog but all it does is starts to shutdown then bricks desktop icons back along with a password prompt to logon.
I think there is an adjustment I can make in the registry by changing "0" to "1" or visa versa. Hope you can help.
Regards.......Nev
b_b@hot.net.au

Spoon
05-03-2002, 12:30 PM
From Microsofts MSDN:

Common Causes of Shut Down Problems
Shutdown problems in Windows 98 Second Edition can be caused by any of the following:
A video card that is not assigned an IRQ in real mode.
An program or terminate-and-stay-resident (TSR) program may not close correctly.
An incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver is loaded.
A damaged Exit Windows sound file.
Incorrectly configured or damaged hardware.
An incompatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) configuration setting.
An Advanced Power Management or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface setting.
The Fast Shutdown registry key is enabled.
NOTE: Windows 98 Second Edition includes the latest updates for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI), OnNow, and Advanced Power Management (APM). In addition, the Fast Shutdown code which was implemented with the initial release of Windows 98 has been removed to support these new features.

Although Windows 98 Second Edition includes many new drivers, not all third-party manufacturers have had a chance to update their hardware drivers. Some existing computers or devices may require an updated BIOS or device driver to fully support Windows 98 Second Edition.