PDA

View Full Version : Error message when installing Asset UPnP

DrFink
05-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Hello,

I just bought a Windows Home Server (Fujitsu Scaleo 2205) and the Sonos music system. After configuring all the stuff I installed Asset UPnP 1.1.0 on the WHS because I want to integrate it in Sonos. During the installation (like described here (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-whs-manual.html)) there were the error message "There is an error with C:\Programme\Illustrate\dBpowerup\dBConfig.exe" (I'm German, so the original message was "C:\Programme\Illustrate\dBpowerup\dBConfig.exe ist ein Fehler aufgetreten").

I clicked OK, the installation continued and everything seemed fine because Asset appears in the installed Addin list and in the properties list where you can configure Asset. It's also possible to open the "Advanced settings" window and edit the settings.

But my problem is: Asset doesn't appear in Sonos - nor on the desktop controller neither on the handheld controller. I deinstalled and reinstalled Asset and restarted the WHS (really restart, not only suspend or hibernate) - but that didn't help.

Then I logged me in into my server by typing "mstsc.exe" in the "Run"-field so I can see the desktop, the explorer (and so on) of Windows Server 2003. I checked "C:\Programme\Illustrate\dBpowerup", but there is no file called "dbConfig.exe"!

Does anybody know how to solve the problem ?

Thanks for your answers,
Frank

Spoon
05-17-2009, 01:00 PM
The error is not important (it is the WMA codec trying to register with Music Converter which is not in Asset).

For Asset to appear in the Sonos, you must follow the steps in the manual to enable sonos to find UPnP servers.

DrFink
05-17-2009, 01:24 PM
The error is not important (it is the WMA codec trying to register with Music Converter which is not in Asset).

For Asset to appear in the Sonos, you must follow the steps in the manual to enable sonos to find UPnP servers.

Well, I followed the installation guide (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-whs-manual.html) and checked "Show music from Rhapsody UPnP Servers" in File >> Preferences >> General Tab >> Advanced Options on the SONOS Desktop Controller.

Do I have to reset the handheld controller, or what did I do wrong?

BTW, on my SONOS Rhapsody is not shown on the list of the music services. I don't know if this may be important to know...

And: I recently installed Simplify Media (http://www.simplifymedia.com/) on my Windows Home Server - another UPnP server - and SONOS does find this service, so it can't be up to SONOS...

Spoon
05-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Have you restarted your WHS machine? also if there is a firewall on the WHS machine (other than Windows Firewall) you will have to add Asset to the exclusion list.

DrFink
05-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Have you restarted your WHS machine? also if there is a firewall on the WHS machine (other than Windows Firewall) you will have to add Asset to the exclusion list.

I did restart the WHS, and there is only the Windows firewall on the WHS. I even installed the Windows XP / Vista / 2000 version on the server (after uninstalling the WHS version), but that also didn't solve the problem.

Spoon
05-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Try running the XP version on a 'normal' machine, such as your laptop, to see if your sonos can see that?

DrFink
05-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Try running the XP version on a 'normal' machine, such as your laptop, to see if your sonos can see that?

I did - and SONOS can see it! Then I shared some music from my local XP PC and some music from my WHS - and SONOS can only see the music from my local XP PC.

On the WHS the Windows firewall is activated, exclusions allowed, and Asset is on the exclusion list (and checked).

BTW, when I installed Simplify Media on my WHS, I had to enter the server name and the password in the options menu (although all the music files are stored on the same machine, on the WHS). Is there a menu in Asset UPnP where I have to enter the server name and the password?

Maybe that's the reason why Asset can't see the shared music files on my WHS.

DrFink
05-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I GOT IT!!!

I found out that if I disable the Windows firewall on my local XP PC, SONOS can see Asset from my local XP PC. If I enable the firewall on my local XP PC, with Asset on the exclusion list (and exclusions allwed) SONOS doesn't see Asset from my local XP.

So, by default, on my WHS the Windows firewall is enabled, with Asset on the exclusion list. When I disable the Windows firewall on my WHS (and restart Asset), SONOS can see Asset on the WHS.

But, it would be great if Asset on my WHS would run with the Windows firewall enabled. So here is my exclusion list from my WHS (and my questions are: What is missing? What must be added to the list so Asset can "get through"? Are there specific port numbers I have to add?):

Asset UPnP
Datei- und Druckerfreigabe (=file and print sharing)
FSCWakeupService
HTTP
HTTP
HTTPS
HTTPS
Microsoft Sitzungs-Manager für Remotedesktophilfe
RDP-Proxy
Remotedesktop
TwonkyMedia
UPnP-Framework
Windows Home Server - Computersicherung
Windows Home Server-Transportdatei
Windows Media Connect
Windows Media Connect
Windows Media Connect
Windows Media Connect
Windows Media Connect
Windows Media Connect

Of course all these entries are checked.

Spoon
05-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Something odd is happening here, because on WHS we add Asset to the exclusion list of the firewall, and it works (we have never heard of a WHS machine where it needs adding). It is also odd that on XP and WHS even if the Asset is in the exclusion then it is still blocked...

Asset v1 uses random ports. Asset v2 (in beta) uses a fixed port (26125)

DrFink
05-18-2009, 05:07 PM
For me it's OK if the firewall on the server is not enabled (as long as the firewall on the client is enabled).

Spoon: Thanks a lot for your help, you really helped me to find the solution.

DrFink

Ralf_s
05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Hello spoon,

I've the same problem with Asset 1.1 for WHS. If firewall on WHS is active, I can't see the asset server, if disabled everything works fine. In the excaptions of the firewall there is the asset upnp and I've added the assetupnp-service.exe.

Maybe you can help or give me a link to release 2.

best regards,

Ralf

LtData
05-19-2009, 10:50 PM
It's in the beta section of this forum: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=18749&page=2

Spoon
05-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Ralf what is your WHS machine?

Ralf_s
05-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi Spoon,

it's the new ACER Easystore H340. I've installed ASSET uPnP WHS after all MS updates.

Ralf

Ralf_s
05-20-2009, 12:53 PM
thanks Lt.Data and Spoon,

I tried the Beta (1.9.9). The same result. But if I added manually the TCP port 26125 it works fine - with activated Windows firewall. So I'll using the beta and wait for the final. It will good, if in the final will be the possibility to change this port.

Does anyone know when the final will published?

Ralf

Spoon
05-31-2009, 06:01 PM
The latest beta should fix the error message about dbconfig.exe

I tried on a fresh WHS install and the firewall did not seem to be an issue, but other WHS systems seem to require help.

psheehan
06-16-2009, 11:12 AM
If WHS is on a private, NAT'ed and firewalled LAN (with access to the Internet via router with all ports blocked from the Internet) - why does the Windows firewall need to be enabled? It is safe to disable firewall software in this scenario, yes?

Spoon
06-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Yes, WHS is not going out browsing the web, or opening email attachments. If behind a router, then it will not get hit by drive-by-attacks.

stefanborn
09-13-2009, 04:29 AM
I own a ACER Easystore H340 as well and had the same problem.
The problem lies in the exclusion rule that Asset creates and only makes problems on non-english systems (mine is german as well).

The firewall exclusion rule adds an entry "Asset UPnP" for the "Asset-uPNP.exe" executable. But the path to the executable is always the english path:
"C:\Programe Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\Asset-uPNP.exe"

but it should be

"C:\Programme\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\Asset-uPNP.exe"

To solve the problem you need to delete the firewall rule for Asset and add a new exclusion rule (you can't change the path on an existing rule).

That solves the problem and maybe will be fixed in a next version ;)

Spoon
09-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Noted.

bokko
05-27-2010, 04:59 PM
With latest beta version 3 I had to open TCP 26125 in and outbound as well as 59000 outbound to work with my OPPO BDP-83
Running Windows 7 64 bit using Eset Smart Security 64 bit 4.2

Spoon
08-27-2010, 03:58 AM
Eset Smart Security is broken when it comes to UPnP (it blocks port 1900 by default which UPnP uses to discover the devices!)