PDA

View Full Version : LAME encoder options for low 24kbps files

bigburd
05-02-2002, 05:18 PM
I'm with a public radio station that would like to provide an online archive of some of our "news/talk" shows. The encoding will be done by some very non tech folks - so your interface bodes very well for that purpose, but we do need the best possible encoding for lowbit rate online streaming.

Lame has a quite a few command line options for tweaking lower bitrate encodings (lowpass filters, -h, etc). dBpowerAMP has a very nice easy to use interface for encoding a wav using LAME, but I have no way of knowing what options dBpowerAMP is using to encode the file. Nor a way to add command line options.

Is it possible for you to provide me with what command line options dBpowerAMP uses when encoding with LAME settings:
Mono - 24Kbs and Freq set to either 16,22,24

or perhaps there is a way for me to find out on my own, I have dBpowerAMP 8d and PowerPack R3?

or if anyone has any input on what might be the best way to encode an MP3 file of mostly human voice that can be streamed over modem.

Thanks

Spoon
05-02-2002, 05:28 PM
dMC does not interface with lame through a command line, it uses the lame DLL, and all the options I can get at are shown on the option page.

One thing you must try is to install the new beta version of dMC (release 9), it can be found in the beta section of this forum, for it has a new option on the Configuration page (that shows after install), one that allows professional frequency conversion to be switched on, this gives much better results at lower frequencies.

June
05-02-2002, 07:06 PM
I collect old radio shows, and 'spoken word' mp3's...I have several hundred...most are encoded at 32kbps @22khz (mono), and the others at 24kbps @22hz. All are quite good quality when recorded with the LAME encoder, and I've never seen the need to use higher bitrates. I spoke once with a company that records radio shows to mp3's and they told me that they don't record them higher than 22khz because it's wasted bandwidth...the voice doesn't go that high.

I have a select few mp3's that were recorded at 16kbps @11khz...they're somewhat tedious to listen to.

If it's possible I'd suggest you try to stick to 32kbps @ 22khz (mono) , but the 24kbps @ 22khz will work adequately also.

.Ogg actually produces nicer sounding files at approximately the same bitrate....but most folks aren't familiar with Ogg Vorbis, so you'd have that additional battle to fight.

To record the mp3's I use Goldwave (www.goldwave.com) it allows you to record...then you can edit, filter and adjust the audio waveform, and finally you can encode it to .mp3, .ogg or whatever format you like.

Good luck with it !

~~ June

Unregistered
08-22-2003, 07:41 AM
ok i've got exactly the same question like bigburd - just want to know if (since it is a year now since the answers) if i can use lame.exe with commandline and/or a lowpass filter? (i think dbpoweramp is great, but i'm really missing lame.exe commandline option) .lu

Spoon
09-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Yes if you install the Generic CLI encoder.