PDA

View Full Version : Normalize/Replay Gain for Apple Lossless

jfkaess
03-28-2009, 07:59 AM
I have some files I've ripped from CD using CD ripper to m4a apple lossless files. I am running Reference 13.2 and the new updated DSP effects.

When playing these files back (iPod) they seem louder than my other mp3 files which I have used MP3gain on to set the file Replay Gain to 90db (actually changing the volume of the files, not just the headers).

Is there a tool I can use on these ripped m4a apple lossless files to have their volume set to a similar level? and how do I do it? I prefer a method that actually changes the volume level of the files, not just the tag header.

I am willing to re-rip thses files to accomplish this normalizarion/volume adjustment if necessary. My criteria for these files is a lossless format playable on my iPod. If another file format will accomplish this, with volume normalization, please let me know which one and any tips I need to know. Normally I use mp3, but these particular files need to be lossless because of the nature of their audio.

xoas
03-28-2009, 09:46 AM
I believe you would do this using the Volume Normalize DSP set using ReplayGain settings. This changes the actual track volume on the tracks to which it is applied. Once applied, it cannot be undone. You may need to experiment to make sure the correct volume level you will need to match those tracks processed through Mp3Gain.

You can apply this dsp to the tracks you have already ripped, but re-ripping might be nicer if you would like to keep lossless copies of the orignal source material.

Best wishes,
Bill

Buvy
03-31-2009, 08:34 PM
You prefer a destructive volume normalization to non destructive normalization?

I personally use iVolume which works as advertised on the iPod when you enable soundcheck on the device. I do like being able to turn soundcheck off and listen to the original volume of the album if I'm just listening to single albums at a time and not playlists.

jfkaess
04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
1. Yes, I prefer actually changing the volume of the tracks. I can rerip anything that ever need to if there is ever a reason. I play my music almost exclusivley in the shuffle mode and hate having some song coming through blaringly loud or so soft I can't hear it well.

2. I followed the process above for my apple lossless files. I saw no changes visible in the id tag header like i see when using mp3gain on mp3 files. Is there any verifiable way to tell that the volume of the file has been adjusted? It took only 2 or 3 seconds for each file which seems awfully fast.