PDA

View Full Version : Batch Ripper slowing down

fphredd
03-02-2009, 09:57 AM
That's basically the issue. Using an MF Digital 7602 with only 512k RAM (2 gigs ordered). Only freedb lookups activated as it's virtually all live stuff not in a database.

Batch Ripper started out running great - 20x - 30x or more on each disc. Get's steadily slower, even after a reboot. Currently single digit ripping speeds.

Seen this behavior before?

bhoar
03-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Spoon - I referred fphredd to the forum on these questions, so they're for you or Lt. Data. <smile>

But I want to bring up a general issue: what are the minimum requirements for the batch ripper? I assume that there would need to be a per-drive (e.g. "+xx MB of RAM per drive" modifier, and perhaps an assumption that the baseline would include secure ripping.

-brendan

fphredd
03-02-2009, 02:45 PM
That's basically the issue. Using an MF Digital 7602 with only 512k RAM (2 gigs ordered).

Oops, meant MB not k... :D

Spoon
03-02-2009, 03:19 PM
2GB should be the target memory on a system with Batch Ripper, 512MB is not enough to even open calculator on Windows XP without using the swap file heavily.

fphredd
03-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks, will report back...

fphredd
03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
With 2.5GB RAM, still going slow (single digit - low teens) and seemingly getting slower. As I said previously, same system started ripping at 25x-35x in each drive, but that only lasted the first test batch of 50-75 discs.

Also, seems to be running in such a way that if one drive is loading, the other may be ripping at ~15x. When the second drive loads, the first will slow down to maintain a combined speed ~14x-17x. Did not notice significant ripping slowdown in one drive with two running initially.

Basically, used to rip in 2:30-3:30 min/disc, now it's 8:00-10:00 min/disc...

Other suggestions? Ideas? Things I can experiment with to help pin this down?

bhoar
03-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Other suggestions? Ideas? Things I can experiment with to help pin this down?

1. Are you testing the same CDs to ensure it's not just a CD quality issue?

2. I think the drives in the 7602 and 7604 units are connected via IDE (not firewire or sata). Have you checked for the DMA-PIO issue? http://winhlp.com/node/10

3. Does the Event Log show any issues in the System area?

4. What are your burst/secure rip settings, exactly?

5. What maker/model/firmware drives are installed?

-brendan

Spoon
03-04-2009, 05:05 AM
How many CD drives are on your system?

fphredd
03-04-2009, 11:07 AM
1. Are you testing the same CDs to ensure it's not just a CD quality issue?

2. I think the drives in the 7602 and 7604 units are connected via IDE (not firewire or sata). Have you checked for the DMA-PIO issue? http://winhlp.com/node/10

3. Does the Event Log show any issues in the System area?

4. What are your burst/secure rip settings, exactly?

5. What maker/model/firmware drives are installed?

-brendan

1. Same CD's

2. Used the tool (forgot to check first...)

3. Since executing *2 still getting 'Atapi' error: "The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period."
Was also (before running *2) getting 'DCOM' error: "The machine wide Default Launch and Activation security descriptor is invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative tool."

4. Set to Burst (what else do u need?)

5. Pioneer DVR-112D firmware 1.21

Spoon - 2 Drives symmetrical right and left side

After running the MS DMA reset tool, I am now getting great speeds again...thanks! bhoar (saying that to you a lot lately :D ).

Will report back if it slows down again...

bhoar
03-04-2009, 11:32 AM
fphredd:

3. Since executing *2 still getting 'Atapi' error: "The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period."

I strongly suggest performing the ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess fixes from microsoft on your system, to reduce the impact of this problem in the future:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/

Note that if the XP system has been updated the most recent service pack, then you don't need to request the hotfix from microsoft, but you still need to make the registry changes.

After running the MS DMA reset tool, I am now getting great speeds again...thanks! bhoar (saying that to you a lot lately :D ).

Will report back if it slows down again...

Right. Good. Remember that you can always rerun the tool and reboot to fix the problem should it happen again.

-brendan