PDA

View Full Version : Multi Encoder - anomolies or misunderstood behaviour

Kiwi
02-06-2009, 02:54 PM
I have spent a good deal of time reading the forums and the help files but I am still struggling to understand some of the things that are happening, and the choices of using other capabilities, while using the Multi Encoder.

I am using a iMAC 24" aluminum, which has an Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4 Ghz with 2 GB RAM, running Vista using Boot Camp.

Using dBpoweramp Reference V13.1, I am ripping to a SATA attached hard drive using FLAC and MP3 (LAME VBR ~192 Kbps). I have the Replay Gain and HDCD DSPs applied for both FLAC and MP3. Here is what I don't understand;

Though the CD rips successfully to the correct folders, the log file is incomplete, only showing a rip to a file that has the dynamic naming structure with a .IGNORE suffix i.e.
Information ripping to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 1' to '\\SERVER\Music\portable music player\James Brown\Star Time\01 - Please, Please, Please.IGNORE'
Track 1: Ripped LBA 32 to 12420 (2:45) in 0:14. Filename: \\SERVER\Music\portable music player\James Brown\Star Time\01 - Please, Please, Please.IGNORE
AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 12) [Pass 1]
CRC32: 7584B11C AccurateRip CRC: C03101BB [DiscID: 024-003811dc-03d889c1-3c10ca18-1]

I cannot get more information in the log file regardless of the changes I make (Detailed, Complete or Simple)
Ripping proceeds reasonably (11X on my drive)
Encoding sits at 99% for as long as it does to get from 0% to 99%
dBpoweramp never shows CPU useage even though I am assuming that the two encodings are occurring simultaneously in each CPU as you only ever see one encoding status display
The grayed "path" in the bottom left corner is showing an old, and no longer valid, directory path and I cannot change it, regardless of what I set for the actual encoder.
The same is true for the gray "Naming" box - it doesn't reflect what is actually set for the specific encoder.
It seems that ripping and encoding twice, is as fast or faster than using the Multi Encoder.

Questions;
How, or where, do I get a detailed log file of what is taking place?

Do I need to use the Multi-CPU Force DSP effect to ensure I am maximising my CPU resources?

I wondered if I can use the Encode Local in conjunction with the Multi Encoder?

Spoon
02-06-2009, 04:39 PM
1) There is no pass-back of filenames for the log from multi-encoder, consider it a one way street.
2) You will only see more info when the drive has to re-read a section of the disc.
4) This is the DSP effect you have, it processes at the end of ripping.
6) Multi-encoder has its own paths
7) as 6
8) That is the HDCD, and secure ripping, encoding can only take place once the track is fully ripped, HDCD only applied once the track fully ripped.

LtData
02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
4. Are you encoding to a network drive?
5. What isn't showing CPU usage, the process on the process list in task manager or the CD ripper window?
6 & 7. This is set in the Encoder tab for each encoder individually.

I THINK, though I don't know if this has been tested, that you can select [Encode Local] as your codec and then choose [Multi-Encoder] as the codec for that and then pick your sub-codecs from there. However, I am unsure if this will work or not.

Kiwi
02-06-2009, 07:23 PM
thanks for the quick response Spoon.

Could you clue me in on the couple of other questions below

I have spent a good deal of time reading the forums and the help files but I am still struggling to understand some of the things that are happening, and the choices of using other capabilities, while using the Multi Encoder.

Do I need to use the Multi-CPU Force DSP effect to ensure I am maximising my CPU resources?

I wondered if I can use the Encode Local in conjunction with the Multi Encoder?

Spoon
02-07-2009, 04:56 AM
1. Some times yes, CD Ripper will decide that if ripping to lossless on an average system the slow part is the HDD not the CPU encoding (default lossless settings), in which case multi-cpu is disabled, it can be forced on.
2. Not tested...