PDA

View Full Version : Album Artist Issue

Sugar Magnolia
02-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Recently, my albumartist field stopped being populated. The only change that I've made is that i have installed the new R13 Flac codec. Does this codec handle album artist differently? Below is my naming string. Album artist is working correctly in the file structure.

[IFCOMP]Compilations\[IFMULTI]Multidisc\[][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album]\[track] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFMULTI]Multidisc\[album artist]\[album]\[track] - [title][][IF!MULTI][extension]\[album artist]\[album]\[track] - [title][][]

Also, how do I get DBPA to write "Various Artists" in the albumartist field when it is a compilation and no album artist is specified? With the above string, my files are written to a "Various Artists" folder. How do I force this to the tag field?

Thanks, Pete

Spoon
02-06-2009, 04:05 AM
Which previous version did you have? By default R13 and R12 map 'Album Artist' to 'AlbumArtist' which now seems the standard for flac, in dBpoweramp COnfiguration >> Codecs >> Advanced you can set the mapping option you wish.

Spoon
02-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Type Various Artists for the artist name at the top in CD Ripper.

Sugar Magnolia
02-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks. I was using R12 before. I'm not 100% sure this is a R13 issue, but cannot think of anything else that has changed. Will check the advanced codec settings.

RE: Various artists in the albumartist field, I'm using batch ripper(just purchased 2nd batch of amg lookups!). It's not too difficult to change with a tagging program.

Pete

Sugar Magnolia
02-06-2009, 01:03 PM
I checked and album artist value is being written as "album artist" not "albumartist" in my flac tags.

In the codec>advacned setting, flac ID vorbis comment 7 is set "album artist to albumartist".

This isn't a big issue for me, should be easy to correct with mp3tag.

Why do I want albumartist vs album artist? Is there a way to fill in both fields with the album artist value?

Thanks, Pete

Spoon
02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
I do not recommend filling both as some programs might read them as 2x artists.

Sugar Magnolia
02-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Interesting. I've been filling both of these fields on many albums. Why would I choose one over the other? Is it simply which field some programs/players use?

(I should figure out which the sonos uses and therefore which I need.)

Sugar Magnolia
02-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Looks like the Sonos uses either type. I should be able to sort out deleting one and using the other. https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=552

Any idea why albumartist stopped being written?

Thanks again, Pete

Spoon
02-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Confirmed issue in R13, will update to R13.1 ASAP

Sugar Magnolia
02-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks. No hurry for me, either works with Sonos.

Is one (albumartist or album artist) more common than the other? Do they generally both work with most players?

Spoon
02-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Depends on program used. R13.1 (FLAC) is out now.

Sugar Magnolia
02-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks. Will try R13.1.

Sugar Magnolia
02-09-2009, 12:53 AM
albumartist is working again. Thanks!

Edu Camargo
05-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Sonos, Squeezebox and many others support both ALBUMARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST (Particularly I prefer the last one; is more readable and values the flexibility of Vorbis Comment fields, which is not based in limited frames like those found in ID3).

The only software I noticed prefering ALBUMARTIST over ALBUM ARTIST was Songbird. Winamp reads both, ALBUM ARTIST is preferred by Foobar, which is my player of choice, and I believe that other softwares and other platforms do not impose limitations on this.

Long Live Vorbis Comment, the best metadata format ever.