PDA

View Full Version : Boar do your drivers support the MF Digital Ripstation DP4-7602

sredmyer
01-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Just curious if your drivers support this model of RipStation. Also if you are familiar with this model can 2 more drives be added to it? Lastly I realize that your drivers are not free, what would the cost for your drivers be for this robot with the stock drives (2) and with the add-on drives (total of 4)

Thanks,

bhoar
01-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Just curious if your drivers support this model of RipStation. Also if you are familiar with this model can 2 more drives be added to it? Lastly I realize that your drivers are not free, what would the cost for your drivers be for this robot with the stock drives (2) and with the add-on drives (total of 4)

Thanks,

1. Ah, no and yes. No, in that I don't have a solid one together right now, yes in that it would only take a little bit of tweaking to get it to work.

I do have drivers for a similar unit where all the input/output stacks are toward the left and middle and the drives are only on the right. The "asymmetrically" arranged unit.

The ones you mentioned above are the 2 or 4 drive units with both a symmetric disc input/output stack placement and two symmetrically placed drive columns (left and right). I believe this is a newer hardware variation and the command set it slightly more complicated due to the two drive column layout.

2. My proposed serial-based robot driver pricing model is:

1. Single drive robots, $100 flat (per driver type).
2. Multi drive robots, $100 per robot + $50/drive (per driver type). Two drive robot = $200, Four drive robot = $300, Six drive robot = $400.

Commercial users would pay the driver fee for each robot they operate (discounts available for more then two robots). Personal users could pay one fee even if they have more than one robot.

-brendan

sredmyer
01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Would $1100 for one of these be a decent deal?
What kind of disc through put could I expect with this device (both in two drive and 4 drive configuration). How long do you expect it will be before you have a stable driver for this device?

Thanks,

bhoar
01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Would $1100 for one of these be a decent deal?
What kind of disc through put could I expect with this device (both in two drive and 4 drive configuration). How long do you expect it will be before you have a stable driver for this device?

Thanks,

I'd need to acquire one myself (unlikely at this point in time) or work with someone to install portmon in order to document the serial IO used by other software (such as the duplication software).

Hard to say in terms of throughput. Best I can guess would be, depending on drive, and with clean discs in burst mode, 3-4 minutes per CD per drive including cycle time. That's 15-20 CDs per hour per drive.

If you use secure mode, then throughput will suffer when dealing with discs not in AccurateRip or discs that are not pristine.

-brendan

sredmyer
01-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the info

fphredd
02-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I just go one of these machines used with only video grabbing software. Looks like dbp could be the PERFECT solution if you could get it to work with this machine for me. From perusing the forum and especially this post, you don't yet have a way for it to work with this model (2 symmetrically arranged drives, built in XP PC).

Is it just a matter of you tweaking or would I need to pay the $200?
What other info would you need from me?
All live music CD-R's, no tags...

Thanks!! :smile2:

fphredd
02-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Oh, also, how long would it take to complete??? Got a lot of ripping ahead of me (around 13,000 CD's...).

Again, Thanks!

bhoar
02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
I just go one of these machines used with only video grabbing software. Looks like dbp could be the PERFECT solution if you could get it to work with this machine for me. From perusing the forum and especially this post, you don't yet have a way for it to work with this model (2 symmetrically arranged drives, built in XP PC).

Is it just a matter of you tweaking or would I need to pay the $200?
What other info would you need from me?
All live music CD-R's, no tags...

Thanks!! :smile2:

fphredd:

If someone assists me getting the first version of the driver out for this hardware, I will certainly give them a discount at a minimum. If you want to pursue getting this working, contact me via email and we'll chat up documenting the commands used and getting a driver working.

I might already have some of the commands, but if you've got a live unit, we can also monitor it being used by other software and complete the command set.

-brendan

fphredd
02-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Email sent! :D

bhoar
02-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Email sent! :D

Not received. Did you get all three substitutions right in the email address?

-brendan

fphredd
02-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes I did. Will try again right now...a bit anxious....

thnx

Sent!

fphredd
02-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Not received. Did you get all three substitutions right in the email address?

-brendan

Did you get either email yet (he asked hopefully)?

bhoar
02-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Did you get either email yet (he asked hopefully)?

Yup, I got the second one, but I'm backed up with a work project this weekend (grn).

-brendan

fphredd
02-14-2009, 03:37 PM
I hate when work gets in the way ;)

Email when you have some time.

bhoar
02-22-2009, 07:43 PM
FYI, fphredd is testing the MF-Digital 7602/7604 (aka Ripstation hardware) driver tonight.

-brendan

fphredd
02-23-2009, 08:02 AM
HUGE props to bhoar (and of course, spoon).

Driver seems to be doing what it's supposed to, working (i think) on one minor issue.

Thanks!!!! :D

:komisch12

fphredd
02-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Just wondering, though the usual answer is yes, if extra RAM helps with dBp. The 7602 only has 512k and I was thinking of upgrading.

Anyone ever had to open one of these up? Looks like the back panel comes off without disturbing the transport :confused:

Thoughts?

bhoar
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Just wondering, though the usual answer is yes, if extra RAM helps with dBp. The 7602 only has 512k and I was thinking of upgrading.

Anyone ever had to open one of these up? Looks like the back panel comes off without disturbing the transport :confused:

Thoughts?

Yes.
- If you use secure ripping, each track may be loaded into memory several times.
- If you use batch ripping this happens with more than one CD at a time.
- If a track is long, then the amount of memory used is larger as well.

i.e. worst case scenario: if you secure rip two single-track 60 minute CDs (e.g. live shows) in parallel, you may need 2.5-3GB of RAM or so to prevent swapping from occuring.

Of course with the unit you are using, you may be limited to 2GB of RAM expansion - they tend to use the bare minimum requirements for duplicators (though yours may be a bit higher since it was originally a MediaGrabber aka DVD ripping unit).

I've opened up the non-symmetric layout versions of these. It's kind of a pain in the ass, and easy to pull cables so if you do it, do it slowly, and have a large work area available. Also, guard the robot arm well, it's really easy to be trying to twist the unit, overbalance, and have it come crashing down onto (and destroy) the arm. Uh, don't do that.

-brendan

fphredd
02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks, once again, bhoar.

This one will actually support 8GB, though it's XP so it's 3+...and memory is cheap (though I'd pay up to get some of mine back)