PDA

View Full Version : Converting FLAC in HiRes-FLAC (HDCD)

MartinP
01-15-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi,

I use dbp for a long time but just now read about ripping HDCDs, so my media library possibly consists of some hires diamonds. When ripping FLAC-files one should only use the HDCD-dsp to get hires-FLACs out of hires-CDs, normal CDs will rip only to 44,1/16 FLACs. What about already ripped CDs.

Howto set preferences/dsp to convert given FLACs to hires-FLACs if possible and do nothing if not? Do the dsp allways need a temporary WAV-file for checking a HDCD track?

Thanks
Martin

Spoon
01-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Convert FLAC >> FLAC with the HDCD DSP and it does as you request (only processes if HDCD is present), but the whole file needs to be internally decoded before passing to HDCD.

MartinP
01-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks
Martin

MartinP
01-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi,

I've tested the way you described. After conversion of 16bit HDCD files i get 24bit files correctly :thumbup:, but after conversion of normal 16bit files i get files with the same size but new modification date! So, are these files created new or not?

Thanks,
Martin

Spoon
01-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Those 16 bit will be reconverted to 16 bit, no quality is lost.

MartinP
01-16-2009, 02:57 AM
OK, but you need plenty of time to check the media library. Is there any way to avoid the intensive checks, possibly by testing the library information of each CD against stored information on the net and so get a much smaller amount of checks (and converts)?

Martin

Spoon
01-16-2009, 07:17 AM
No :)

MartinP
01-29-2009, 04:06 PM
OK, I have to continue this thread.

Now I've tested my media library against HDCD on another PC and only convert the positive FLAC-files on the media PC. When playing the highres 24 bit files and check them against the normal 16 bit files in foobar2000 I hear no difference in quality and must increase the volume about 8dB to get the same loudness.

Whats that?

Thanks,
Martin

Spoon
01-30-2009, 03:10 AM
It is how HDCD is, there are 2 encoding standards, one has a higher volume. If you use ReplayGain the problem would self correct.

lork
02-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Hello-

Recently used dBpoweramp to rip a bunch, and it was fantastic (worth the $$ for the naming alone). Now I want to go through my entire collection (much ripped before with EAC) and find HDCDs.

Clearly I can do that with the new version (which version should I buy for this? The older version is on a relative's computer far away, so I'd need to repurchase).

The big question, though, is: if I convert, I want to keep the old 16-bit files, since some things (one of my DACs) only handle that. I'd also like to append an "HDCD" or other label to the 24-bit track info somewhere so I can differentiate when choosing which to play from my server.

Is there are way to have dBpoweramp go through the FLAC collection, find HDCDs, and convert only those to 24 bit while leaving the old versions of everything, including HDCDs, still there?

Also, is there a way for the naming to have "HDCD" or something added so I can tell the files apart?

Many thanks!