PDA

View Full Version : Help with converting wav to lossless

bjorn
01-15-2009, 04:57 AM
I've ripped about 400 cds in wav with dBpoweramp. I'm seeing though that with several players info is lacking. I assume this is because of lack of tagging with wav. I would therefore like to convert my already ripped files to a lossless format.

1. Is there a way I can convert my files without loosing anything or do I have to rerip?

2. I've tried using batch converter with a few cds. But is there are a way to convert the wav files and automatically have them deleted afterwards? Or do I have to delete them manually?

Appreciate if anyone can explain me how to do this in the best matter in simple words.

3. I don't know if I'm better of using wma lossless, wavpackage or flac. I understand that wma is a proprietary format. Other then that, what is the advantage and disadvantage of the three formats? I haven't decided on which player to use. Right now, I'm using both WMP, Albumplayer and Foobar2000.

xoas
01-15-2009, 06:23 AM
With respect to your first question, you certainly can convert your files from .wave without having to re-rip. I believe that dBpowerAMP Music Converter allows you to rip to wave and to create tag information for those wave files. The standard for wave files does not call for tag information so it may be that your players do not show tag information for these files because they are not set up to read tag information from .wave. I would therefore suggest converting some of these files to a lossless codec of your choice and checking to see whether the tag information is shown in the new format. If they do, then you should be in business. Otherwise, to get the tag information, it is probably easier to re-rip.

I believe that there is an option to delete source files after converting. I STRONGLY recommend against using this, in case you run into problems with your conversion. It is far safer to do your conversion and then to delete your original source files.

I would be interested in seeing what others have to say about choice of lossless format. Theoretically, lossless means lossless and the only differences might be in the speed of the conversion, the amount of compression, and the number of platforms that support the format. I have seen others, whose opinions I respect, suggest that WMA Lossless is not quite in the same league as flac or wavepack. I am not familiar at all with Albumplayer and I don't use WMP or Foobar2000 much (I prefer to use dBpowerAMP Audio Player although this program is being rewritten to be compatible with the later (r 12.0 and later) versions of dBpowerAMP Music Converter). My uninformed guess would be that .flac would be best supported across all players but all 3 formats might be supported in each of these programs. Personally I am somewhat more fond of wavepack than flac but I think flac would have better cross-platform support than wavepack.

I would be happy to see others opinions on this topic as well.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Bill

bjorn
01-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Where is the best place to convert the wave files to? If I convert them to another loacation, I don't get the album cover. If I convert them to the same original folder/location, I've two formats and have a heck of a job of deleting the correct ones manually.

Wayne
01-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Step 1. You could convert the tracks to the same location (and use the ID Tag DSP effect to import the album art into the resultant files as you convert them).

Step 2. You then use the Batch Converter and the Arrange Audio codec to "convert" the tracks to a new location and select the flag to arrange album art at the same time. You will need to use the Batch Converter filter to ensure only the new files get selected. This will result in the converted files being in a new location together with the album art.

Step 3. Delete the original files.

Wayne

bjorn
01-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Step 1. You could convert the tracks to the same location (and use the ID Tag DSP effect to import the album art into the resultant files as you convert them).

Step 2. You then use the Batch Converter and the Arrange Audio codec to "convert" the tracks to a new location and select the flag to arrange album art at the same time. You will need to use the Batch Converter filter to ensure only the new files get selected. This will result in the converted files being in a new location together with the album art.

Wayne
Can you explain how I use the ID Tag DSP? I see it under DSP effect, but when I choose it another window with different options comes up.

I tried converting some albums to a different location (without ID Tag). It worked fine except that different albums by same artist didn't go in separate folders. All the songs came under the artist. Is that because of the string? I simply used the default one ([artist]\[artist] - [title]). What string do I need to use to get this correct? Sorry for asking so basic questions, but this is not up my alley.

bjorn
01-15-2009, 01:55 PM

Wayne

Ok. I'm starting to understand what you described her. Not sure yet how to use ID Tag DSP when I convert the files to the same location.

But what if I do this:
1. Convert the wave files to lossless in the same location.

2. Then I set the filter in the Batch Converter to wave alone and move them away to another loacation. That way I'll still have the album cover in the original location and I have the lossless files there as well.

Is that a good way to do it?