PDA

View Full Version : Encoding to ALAC w/MF Digital Ripstation?

3ME
01-12-2009, 12:53 AM
The proprietary software on my Ripstation does not do Apple Lossless. Looking for a way to either rip to this codec automatically with this machine or convert FLAC or WAV's to ALAC.

bhoar
01-12-2009, 02:36 AM
The proprietary software on my Ripstation does not do Apple Lossless. Looking for a way to either rip to this codec automatically with this machine or convert FLAC or WAV's to ALAC.

I'll leave the second sentence to spoon to answer officially (but I believe the music converter can do this after you're done creating the FLAC files so he probably has a solution for you).

Also, depending on the model of Ripstation you run, I may have an add-on driver for using it with dbpoweramp's batch ripper instead of the Ripstation software, but it is an additional cost (priced based on the number of drives).

-brendan

Spoon
01-12-2009, 04:10 AM
Yes dMC can convert FLAC to ALAC, but as Brendan says you are best using Batch Ripper and ripping direct to it.

3ME
01-12-2009, 10:26 AM
I'd like to get more info & costs on both. My robotic MF Digital Ripstation has 4 drives.

bhoar
01-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd like to get more info & costs on both. My robotic MF Digital Ripstation has 4 drives.

Well, the cost for the "use Ripstation now and convert with dbpoweramp later" solution would only be $35 for dbpoweramp reference.

There's the other option, using the dbpoweramp batch ripper with a robot. Can you post a link to a picture of your unit or an identical one. There are two or three four-drive Ripstations hardware types, one of which I do not support yet. Pricing for multi-drive robot drivers currently is ($100 each for first two drives, $50 each for each drive beyond that). So, a four-drive robot driver for dbpoweramp's batch ripper is $300. Plus, of course, you have to buy dbpoweramp reference if you haven't already ($35). Also, if purchased for business use, the driver is purchased on a per-seat (per-robot) basis, one license per robot.

-brendan

3ME
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
From the download page, is this the the music converter you're speaking of? Download: dBpoweramp Music Converter R13.1 4.9 MB A 21 day trial? Is this all I need to convert to ALAC? Which would be a better codec to convert from, FLAC, WAV v1 or WAV v2? Besides the extra step, are there any disadvantages to converting using Music Converter over ripping directly using Batch Converter?

Below is a pic of my machine. How does batch ripper encode directly to ALAC? Is it using itunes in some way in the background or something?
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/WaWaZatt/1.jpg

bhoar
01-12-2009, 05:17 PM
1. From the download page, is this the the music converter you're speaking of? Download: dBpoweramp Music Converter R13.1 4.9 MB A 21 day trial? Is this all I need to convert to ALAC?

2. Which would be a better codec to convert from, FLAC, WAV v1 or WAV v2?

3. Besides the extra step, are there any disadvantages to converting using Music Converter over ripping directly using Batch Converter?

4. Below is a pic of my machine.

5. How does batch ripper encode directly to ALAC? Is it using itunes in some way in the background or something?

1. Yes, that is the link you want. You'll also need to download the ALAC codec from the codec-central part of the website, found here http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm or more specifically by following the ALAC link on that page to the m4a page here http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm

2. I don't know what kind of tagging Ripstation uses, so I can't give a good recommendation on best source. However, it is more likely, in my opinion, that tag data would come over best from FLAC in general (not specific to Ripstation). But you will need to experiment. I can't think of any disadvantages...maybe some of the other bundled mf-digital/ripstation tools might have tagging/path expectations based on ripstation output? You've got 21 days of trial to figure that out. :)

3. Well, i am biased a bit, but my belief is that spoon's core "secure" ripping code is the best out there. Getting into the specifics is a bit too intensive for this thread, please read up on his documentation of secure ripping, accuraterip, etc. on the website.

4. Ah, I do believe I have a driver for that one.

5. My understanding is that Spoon (the author of the dbpoweramp suite) reverse-engineered the ALAC format (hopefully he will correct me if I am wrong). So, iTunes is not used. Which is good, because from what I understand, having used the iTunes SDK myself, the iTunes core can only encode one track at a time.

-brendan

3ME
01-12-2009, 08:11 PM
2. I don't know what kind of tagging Ripstation uses, so I can't give a good recommendation on best source. However, it is more likely, in my opinion, that tag data would come over best from FLAC in general (not specific to Ripstation). But you will need to experiment. I can't think of any disadvantages...maybe some of the other bundled mf-digital/ripstation tools might have tagging/path expectations based on ripstation output? You've got 21 days of trial to figure that out. :)I ask because Ripstation's iEncode, their ALAC batch converter, requires WAV v2. 2 probs... it's a bit pricey & apparently there's been some issues with using the latest iTunes version... which I understand is being worked on.

Before I dive in to the trail, is Music Converter ok with iTunes 8 and is this a batch converter software?

I will read up on the documentation... thx!

bhoar
01-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I ask because Ripstation's iEncode, their ALAC batch converter, requires WAV v2. 2 probs... it's a bit pricey & apparently there's been some issues with using the latest iTunes version... which I understand is being worked on.

Before I dive in to the trail, is Music Converter ok with iTunes 8 and is this a batch converter software?

I will read up on the documentation... thx!

To be honest, I've never used the Music Converter / Batch Converter (for file to file conversion) myself. Spoon may be able to answer your specific questions on it.

My area of focus is with the CD Ripper / Batch Ripper (for CD to file conversion), specifically in the area of robot support.

In addition you do have the 21-day trial, so you can use that to experiment. And the forum, of course.

-brendan

Spoon
01-13-2009, 03:23 PM
>Before I dive in to the trail, is Music Converter ok with iTunes 8 and is this a batch converter software?

We do not rely on iTunes to encode, so you can have any version of iTunes...

3ME
01-13-2009, 06:49 PM
...and I can take say 1000 files & batch convert them??

Spoon
01-14-2009, 04:30 AM
yes