PDA

View Full Version : How to replace files with batch convert

msfox99
01-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I have a library with mixed mp3 and wma that I want to convert to all mp3. I have tried the batch converter, using these 2 methods:

1. Make a complete copy of my library, and try to batch convert such that it replaces the wma files with mp3's in their current folders. (Also, tell it to not re-convert those files which are already mp3, I was able to do that.) I can't seem to see how to do this. This method leaves both the wma file and the newly converted mp3 file in each folder, which is not what I want, this gives duplicates.

2. Start with the original library (not a copy), and convert the wma files to a new folder location. This has the unfortunate effect of leaving files which were already in mp3 format behind. I end up with only party of my library in the new location.

Any ideas how I can end up with the entire library of both my original mp3's and the wma's converted to mp3, with no duplicates?

Thanks.

Spoon
01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Your existing mp3 and existing wmas would have to have identical ID Tags. You can convert all the WMA (in batch converter, select only WMA) to mp3 and select no when asked to overwrite, you can also use the DSP effect 'delete source' to remove the WMA source file.

msfox99
01-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure why you say they have to have identical tags. Could you explain a little more please? Just to clarify, I have some CD's as mp3 and some as wma, not the same ones.

Spoon
01-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Sometimes people name the files they convert on ID Tags, if you are not doing that then the filenames of the duplicate mp3 and wma would have to be the same.