PDA

View Full Version : AccurateRip Profile

comp1mp
12-13-2008, 05:20 AM
Hi,

Read through several posts tonight about AccurateRip, and I want to make sure I understand everything correctly.

I have a collection of a few hundred cds, 95% in great condition. So i am taking Spoon's advice and going to build 2 profiles.

The first profile is AccurateRip using burst mode. This profile should produce flawless rips for 90% + of my cds. As long as each track on a cd has a confidence rating of 4 or better, I can be assured that it is a perfect rip.

For the other 10% of my cds with tracks having less than a 4 confidence, or other AR problems, I will have a second profile using Secure Mode without AR. (Why use AR again when it failed in the first pass?)

Am I correct? Anything I am missing?

Also, based on one of the threads, it seemed that using excessive settings in Secure Mode could potentially increase the number of errors introduced into the rip. Something to do with the increased likelihood that the wrong data will be selected during correction.

With that in mind, what would be the best Secure Mode settings for someone who would much rather buy a new CD instead of ripping a single CD for 2 hours and still having potentially noticeable errors?

Thanks,
Matthew

LtData
12-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Set it to abort rip after 50 bad frames.

Also, personally I always rip in SecureMode, that way I get a rip log.

bhoar
12-13-2008, 01:35 PM
A clean CD in good condition that is already in AccurateRip will rip in Secure mode just as fast as it rips in Burst mode.

"How can the be?", you ask?

Because the first thing that secure mode does is perform a burst rip. The second thing secure mode does is check to see if it matches AccurateRip. If it does, then that track is done. There's no point in pursuing things further if your track matches the same track ripped from other copies of the CD by other people on other drives.

If it does not match, then it starts looking at the C2 errors, performs additional full rips for cross-check purposes and, finally, does the single frame rerips.

My suggestion is to just use the standard secure settings (and ultra-secure if you've got reference).

If you are concerned with drive wear, use one profile (secure) and just limit the run time of the single frame rerips for now. You can then put them aside and condier playing with the secure settings at the end or, alternately, replace the discs with undamaged ones or run them through a repair system.

-brendan

PS - assuming the drive is properly configured and AR is set up, of course.

Spoon
12-13-2008, 03:38 PM
>Am I correct? Anything I am missing?

There is never a need to switch off AccurateRip as it is a verification, it does not negatively impact the rip.

Ripping always in secure mode is a good idea also, if the disc is in AR and has no errors it will rip as fast as a burst rip.

comp1mp
12-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the replies! :thumbup:

Did some more reading and thinking. Here are the relevant attributes of my new 95% profile.

Accurate Rip
Secure Mode
Ultra Secure Disabled
C2 Pointers Enabled
Secure Rip Abort When Having to Re-Rip 1 Frame

As I said 95% of my collection is in great condition, actually pristine. The configuration above should result in single pass rips that I can be 100% confident about. These rips are either verified by AR or are Secure because the C2 data is not reporting errors (or should I say not forcing any frames to be re-ripped). Hopefully all 95% will rip with this profile and its burst like performance.

After a fast pass through my entire collection, I can develop a second profile for running the remaining 5-10% which are needing to re-rip frames.

Is my reasoning sound? Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Matthew

LtData
12-14-2008, 12:56 PM
That sounds good.