PDA

View Full Version : Powerfile C200 & firmware issues & dBPowerAmp Batch Ripper

IamNemo
10-13-2008, 03:23 PM
For those of you having problems making your Powerfile work with dBPowerAmp Batch Ripper here are a few tidbits of information:

*1 Read this post:
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showpost.php?p=76022&postcount=36
Of course I also have version 1.2.6 and is has been manufactured in 2000 :(

*2 From a Powerfile tech support guy in 2004:

"The C200 series' Toshiba SD-M1212 DVD-ROM drives were manufactured during a time when what is now known as DVD-R(A) was the only type of DVD-R disc available. This disc was used primarily by professionals.

DVD-R technology later split into two formats: DVD-R(A) and DVD-R(G).

The DVD-R(G) disc is targeted toward mainstream customer use.

Powerfile actually flew engineers to Japan to assist Toshiba with a firmware patch that allowed their drives to read this new disc format. The patch was later applied to all changers using this drive in May, 2001.

The firmware update does not pass through FireWire, unfortunately, so the unit requires disassembly in order to update the individual drives. "

There, you have it. I'm just out of luck with this unit. Nemo

bhoar
10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
That article is about DVD discs. How does this apply to dbpoweramp?

-brendan

IamNemo
10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
That article is about DVD discs. How does this apply to dbpoweramp? -brendan

My point was that according to this the Powerfile firmware is not field-upgradable and requires the user to send the unit back to Powerfile (warranty extension is about US$500). Nemo

bhoar
10-13-2008, 08:41 PM
My point was that according to this the Powerfile firmware is not field-upgradable and requires the user to send the unit back to Powerfile (warranty extension is about US$500). Nemo

Oh, ok. Warranty issues aside...

I've disassembled my XL1B and found it pretty easy to connect the drive in-situ to another bridge board, such as a USB one (which is how I notified spoon that the drive itself can handle C2 just fine in R13, even if it fails over firewire). If you have a small form factor machine with a removable cover, such as a Shuttle brand box, you could even hook the drive directly to the SFF box's IDE port to do a field upgrade, assuming you have access to the firmware upgrader.

You just want to make sure you're using a firmware compatible with the changer (e.g. supplied by or pointed to by Powerfile).

-brendan

PS - last I checked there was still an unsold lot of 5 of the 50-disk kodak robots on ebay for ~$300 + s/h.