PDA

View Full Version : Rip manufactoring-defective CDs as "Defective By Design"?

Porcus
10-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I have a few brand new CDs which refuse to rip accurately nor securely -- log says that c2 drops all re-reads (ultra-secure mode).

Now, as the Defective By Design feature does set out to handle cases with malfunctioning error codes, and it has an interpolation function, would it then be a good idea to regard the aforementioned CDs as, to phrase it oxymoronically, "Unintentionally DbD" and use this rip mode? Is this a different (and better) method for frames which probably have OK audio but manfunctioning error codes, than the usual interpolate-over-insecure-frames feature, which is ... frankly, terrible?

bhoar
10-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Have you tried these discs in more than one type of drive?

-brendan

Spoon
10-12-2008, 09:05 AM
If you do not hear pops and clicks then your drive is interpolating for you.

Porcus
10-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Spoon: Care to elaborate? It is ripped as insecure, does that mean that dBpoweramp does not pick any of the rips, and interpolation takes place if either I have asked dBpoweramp to or the drive does so for me?

In which case, is there any way for dBpoweramp to control whether the drive interpolates or not?

And, does the DbD mode matter?

bhoar: yep! The Matshita drive in the Sony XL1B, the HL-DT-ST in my laptop and a couple of PX-230A's (including one brand new which I ... eh, deflowered yesterday).

Spoon
10-12-2008, 01:13 PM
It means the drive is zeroing out the errors so they cannot be heard, this happens if you want it or not with almost all drives.

Porcus
10-12-2008, 01:50 PM
So dBpoweramp's "interpolate"-function is just an alternative algorithm, which may or may not be better or worse than what my CD spinner does?

And still: is there one or two functions (inaccurate frame vs. the DbD function) in dBpoweramp?

Spoon
10-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Indeed.