PDA

View Full Version : Unable to extract embedded album art from wma files?

Ernö
08-22-2008, 10:19 PM
I have a large directory of music in the form of wma files that have album art embedded in the files. (each wma file has album art embedded in it; there is no folder.jpg type file). When I play the files in Windows Media Player, the album art is displayed. However, when I tried converting the wma files to mp3 using dBpoweramp, I'm noticing that the album art is not being extracted from the wma files.

I searched around this forum to see if someone encountered this before, but the only posts I found had to do with using the "ID Tag processing" action and changing the "Import Album art from" setting under "manipulation". Unfortunately, this doesn't do the trick for embedded album art.

Some other posts I read suggested that embedded album art should be automatically extracted from wma files and embedded into mp3 files while converting, but I am not seeing this.

Is this a bug? Or could I be missing something?

Thanks.

LtData
08-22-2008, 11:38 PM
If you right-click on the file and go to "Edit Tag", does it say that there is album art in the file?
I believe WMA has the album art in each folder, but makes the files hidden. Go to folder options, tell it to show hidden files and to not hide system files. Do you see the album art there now?

Ernö
08-25-2008, 02:20 PM
If you right-click on the file and go to "Edit Tag", does it say that there is album art in the file?
I believe WMA has the album art in each folder, but makes the files hidden. Go to folder options, tell it to show hidden files and to not hide system files. Do you see the album art there now?

Thanks for the prompt response - you were right on the money. The album art was indeed in a system file and not embedded in the wma file as I had initially thought. My settings showed hidden files, but not system files. Showing system files solved the problem.

Thanks once again!

LtData
08-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Not a problem. If you want to embed the album art, simply run the utility codec [ID Tag Update] and tell it to import from folder.jpg or whichever file is the largest resolution, then your art will be embedded.