PDA

View Full Version : run external calling batch file problem

coppo23
06-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi. I am a new user - been playing with the demo for a while and now have bought reference today. I cannot get the dsp run external to call an external batch file. I have tried everthing I can think of - currently I have a simple file c:\apc.bat that would echo hi andy and pause for a key press. It should be called after the batch conversion is done - but it isn't. What should I enter in the program and/or commandline boxes on the dsp settings?

(Ideally this batch file will be used to do a few things such as copy artwork, make files read only etc etc)

I have a second question. Is it possible to have the no to overwrite all as a default option - or am I missing something? (i.e I use it as an incremental copy of all my flacs to mp3s) I have several thousand files and when I start a conversion - it will be an hour or two before it pops up the "these exist - overwrite?" option. Usually gone to bed by then!

Brilliant package!

Spoon
06-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Try running:

"c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe"

See if that pops up a command window.

coppo23
06-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Have tried cmd.exe before but did it again to be sure. No it doesn't pop up.

Andy

Spoon
06-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Do you have security software which might be stopping dbpoweramp from running programs?

coppo23
06-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Tried on 2 different boots (same machine though) both xp SP2 - one has blueyonder pcguard and the other has the standard sp2 firewall and bit defender. There was nothing shown up in the log in windows firewall log. Not sure if there is a log on pcguard - it pops up when things are blocked and there was no popup for dbpoweramp.

I have tried just the batch file with path, also with cmd.exe and the batch file. I tried a short batch name in the root of c so the whole thing was a very short path. I have tried "call apctest.bat" as one woudl do if calling a batch file from another. None of these ideas work.

Andy

Spoon
06-27-2008, 04:05 AM
Try setting run external to run after each file is converted, does that work?

coppo23
06-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Spoon

No - that doesn't work either as far as I can tell. I have tried with and without cmd.exe on 2 completely different machine installations now. (Both XP sp2 - one is a clean installation - the other has a lot of rubbish on it.) They both behave the same.

Andy

Spoon
07-02-2008, 11:46 AM
After testing:

The CLI string has to have something in it, even a ' ' space for run external to work. The cmd.exe example above was a bad one as the pipes are redirected and cmd.exe closes straight away, but if you set to:

Program: C:\Windows\Notepad.exe
CLI: ' '

it will work.

LtData
07-02-2008, 06:47 PM
If you are having to use cmd.exe to open a batch file, put a "/k" in there, as it makes the window persist and wait for input, like a normal cmd window. Or put a "pause" in the batch file.

coppo23
07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
No joy I'm afraid. My batch file is not getting called (it does have a pause in it). Its not the end of the world - but did simplify the tidy up after the conversion. I am working from a manual 'script' at present.

Thanks for trying

Andy