PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated 1st Timer - Ready To Quit

sashua
06-17-2008, 10:25 PM
I downloaded the trial of db poweramp and it seemed easy to figure out until I tried to get some cover art. It kept asking for me to subscribe to AMG so I finally decided to just cut out the extra red tape and buy the premium version of db poweramp.

Now when I click on my db poweramp music convertor icon I get absolutely nothing I can recognize anymore. Gone is the screen interface I was getting used to with RIP, REFRESH, FREEDB, etc. up top. Now I just get a Windows box (I am using Vista btw) that wants me to add files. My tool bar is on the left and the old ORGANIZE, VIEWS, NEW FOLDER, etc. is across the top. It says that I am opening db poweramp but it doesn't seem to BE db poweramp.

So....I am pissed, frustrated, angry and there is no telephone support and no real way of describing what is going on better than the above since I can't show the screen to anyone.

Having now vented my frustration, can ANYONE out there help me to diagnose this problem and get me back on the right road? My goal is to rip 4000 cd's to FLAC and add all the necessary metadata (including cover art) to use on a new SONOS system. I also need to learn how to edit the metadata in case the wrong art/no art comes up.

Lots of issues here. Please..... someone?

Russ

LtData
06-17-2008, 10:39 PM
You are launching the converter, NOT the CD ripper. Go to the dBpoweramp folder in the start menu and launch the CD ripper. Also, make sure you install the FLAC codec from Codec Central.

Also, there is no telephone support due to the fact that Illustrate has one employee: Spoon. The rest of us on the board are just volunteers who help support the users.

sashua
06-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Whooops. I just assumed that "CD Ripper" meant just that...ripping CD's (like I currently use NERO for) and not for converting to FLAC. I naturally assumed that "Music Convertor" was what I should use to convert from one file type to another.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'm off to try it.

-Russ

LtData
06-18-2008, 12:07 AM
If you are wanting to convert your files to FLAC and not rip CDs, then yes, you do want to use the Music Converter. Do note, though, that dMC only adds meta data, including artwork, if you use it to rip the CDs, it does not add it to already-ripped files.

moley6knipe
06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I also need to learn how to edit the metadata in case the wrong art/no art comes up.

Can I recommend having a look at www.mp3tag.de/en - mp3tag is a staggeringly powerful tagging application that can pretty much do anything you can think of. Best of all you can create "Actions" which automate all manner of tasks. The combination of dBpoeramp and mp3tag now means I can rip to Apple Lossless and mp3 at the same time and sort all the tags exactly how I want them with two mouse clicks. Amazing time-saver.

Also, I really really recommend ripping 10-20 CDs of varying types (ie CDs by artists, CDs by bands, compilations, multi-disc sets) before you rip your entire library. This'll give you an idea of what works for you using your Sonos and what doesn't before you realise you've got to either A) re-tag 4000 CDs (not the end of the world) or B) re-rip 4000 CDs (the end of the world!).

Believe me, it's worth spending the time to get things set-up exactly before you do your whole library!

LtData
06-18-2008, 06:38 PM
With dMC r13, you can just click the "-" sign to remove the album art, then click the "+" to add the album art, either from a scanner, file, or clipboard.

sashua
06-19-2008, 01:52 AM
If you are wanting to convert your files to FLAC and not rip CDs, then yes, you do want to use the Music Converter. Do note, though, that dMC only adds meta data, including artwork, if you use it to rip the CDs, it does not add it to already-ripped files.

I have been using CD Ripper to convert the files to FLAC, bring up the Metadata including cover art and put it all in a nice, neat little file on my External HD. Is this not the correct solution for storing files to be used by my SONOS system?

sashua
06-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Also, is there a tutorial on DB Poweramp on line anywhere? I just KNOW that when I start doing Multi-Disc sets and compilation discs I am going to have a dozen more questions and I hate to bother you all repeatedly.

LtData
06-19-2008, 08:26 AM
If your ripping your CDs with the CD Ripper, that is correct, yes. I am not sure about how the SONOS wants the files, I have no experience with it.

austinrip
10-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Also, is there a tutorial on DB Poweramp on line anywhere? I just KNOW that when I start doing Multi-Disc sets and compilation discs I am going to have a dozen more questions and I hate to bother you all repeatedly.

Spoon mentioned in this thread http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=17744&highlight=tutorial
that he should have a tutorial ready soon.

There is lots of info on the site regarding naming conventions / tagging. I'm looking for help on making sure I have everything configured correctly for secure ripping. coming from EAC, maybe i'm just assuming there are lots of parameters to tweak/verify/confirm.