PDA

View Full Version : CD-Rom Reports NO C2 but program says YES

AudioFanatic
06-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Hello, I have the Music Converter Reference edition and use the CD-Ripper. I purchased a Plextor PX-608CU. I actuall got a drive whch didn't any company on it an computer reports it as Pioneer, but I read somewhere on a forum that Pioneer made that drive for Plextor so I probably got some kind of an OEM version.

Anyway, my question is related to C2 Error Pointers. If I click on the Technical link in the CD-Rom part of the options on the CD-Ripper, it bring up te following information about my CD drive:

Manufacturer: PIONEER
CD Drive: DVD-RW DVR-K16
Firmware: 1.44
Serial: 06/03/13 PIONEER
Maximum Speed: 4234 KB/sec (x24)
Current Speed: 4234 KB/sec (x24)
Spin-down After: Never
Buffer Size: 1.95 MB
Accurate Stream: Yes
C2 Error Pointers: No <-- NOTICE IT SAYS I DON'T HAVE C2 SUPPORT!!
Reads ISRC: Yes
Reads UPC: Yes

However, if I let the program test for C2 Error pointers and insert a scratched disk, it takes a while but it detects C2 and says that my drive supports C2. I find it confusing, as to what t believe to. The worst thing I can do is tell CD Ripper my drive supports C2 if it doesn't. That way I may get some bad rips cause the program will not be reported of any C2 pointers. Anybody can help?

Also, another unrelaed issue is about buffer size. If I let the program test for the buffer size it keep telling me my buffer size is only about 36K (!). I have tried running it on different CDs and tried to use 2 or 3 different CD readers and they all report pretty much the same but on paper they all say they support to have a cache of 2Mb. So again, I don't know what to believe to and what shall I write in the program field of the Cache size ?

Any guys who can help, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks

Spoon
06-17-2008, 02:53 PM
If it detects c2 half way through a disc, where there is a visible scratch then c2 is supported.

The internal cache has nothing to do with audio cache, maximum I have ever seen on a drive is 600KB, if you put 1024 kb it is a safe number.

LtData
06-17-2008, 08:31 PM
As Spoon said, buffer and cache are two different things: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=11929&highlight=buffer+cache