PDA

View Full Version : Errors converting flac to mp3

smprather
06-08-2008, 06:34 PM
I am trying to convert my archived flac library to ~160kbs-vbr using the batch converter. I'm also using both track and album ReplayGain (using tags to group albums). However, I get this error every time:

Error converting to mp3 (Lame), 'F:\music\Centaur\In Streams\01-Life Begins.flac' to 'F:\Music Downsampled\Centaur\01 - Life Begins.mp3'
md5 did not match decoded data, file is corrupt.

The converted mp3 files play correctly, but no tags are written to the mp3 files.

I've tried converting just one song and large batches of songs. Same result. I just installed dBpoweramp yesterday, so I should be using the latest version (unregistered).

Is this a bug? I found a similar report in another thread, but the conversation sputtered out without resolution.

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=59372

I created my flac files with Winamp Pro. Every other media utility is able to read the tags (MediaMonkey, WindowsMedia, etc). Why can't dBpoweramp?

Thanks,
--Myles

smprather
06-08-2008, 06:50 PM
I used MediaMonkey to convert my flac to flac. Then dBpoweramp was able to convert the resultant flac to mp3.

dbpa is not able to convert the old flac (pre-mediamonkey conversion) to flac (or mp3).

Why can MediaMonkey convert flac to flac, but dbpa can't? Obviously I have Winamp to thank for some sort of flac brokenness, but like I said before, other media apps are able to handle it.

Thanks,
--Myles

LtData
06-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Go into dBpoweramp Configuration, open the Codec tab and click on "Advanced Options". Scroll down to the "Decoder Options" section and change the option for FLAC from "Stop decoding on error" to "Continue Decoding" and see if that helps.

smprather
06-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks Data. That seems to work. Makes me feel dirty though. Just to be on the safe side, I kicked off a 13 hour (estimated) flac-to-flac in MediaMonkey. Maybe your work-around will help the developers debug the problem. If any developers have your ears on, let me know if you want a sample flac file.

Thanks again,
--Myles

LtData
06-08-2008, 11:11 PM
The error your getting means that dMC thinks your files are corrupted, according to the MD5 stored in the file and the actual MD5 of the file.

smprather
06-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Hmmm... So there's a bug in Winamp's MD5 generation (or maybe they don't generate at all)? And I guess MediaMonkey doesn't check.

So there should be no real harm in ignoring this mismatch. The work-around should be safe. Oh well, I'm 10% of the way through my flac-to-flac. May as well go ahead and sanitize the whole bunch.

I suppose it's a good thing for dMC to check the MD5. Would probably be nicer if the advanced options had a way to say "Don't do an MD5 comparison". That way I wouldn't think all errors are being ignored. Just that one. Not a big deal though. Hopefully the Winamp crew will work out their bug.

--Myles