PDA

View Full Version : Tagging: ANSI vs UTF16

stealle
05-18-2008, 01:16 AM
I noticed that CDRipper uses the ANSI code for tagging. I just started using Tag&Rename to tag some MP3s and noticed that is uses the Unicode UTF-16.

I don't know much about the difference between ANSI and UTF-16. However, based on the limited information I could find and understand, it seems that UTF-16 is probably superior.

1. Any reason why one code could be more advantageous than the other?
2. Can dbpoweramp use the UTF-16 code instead?

LtData
05-18-2008, 01:48 AM
1. If you have non-ANSI characters, you HAVE to use Unicode. Non-ANSI characters are mostly non-Latin based languages, such as the Asian-area language (Chinese, Japanese, etc.) and Russian come to mind. If your characters are all normal letters, you should be fine.
2. Yes, go into dBpoweramp Configuration (See "Need to find your version?" below), go to the Codecs tab, click on the "Advanced Options" button at the bottom, then go to your format, if the format accepts UTF-16, it should be an option.

stealle
05-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the info...

Anything to be concerned about as far as media players are concerned? Are ANSI or UTF16 both supported under the most popular players and portables (i.e. iTunes, iTouch, WMP, WinAmp)?

Spoon
05-18-2008, 05:03 AM
Should be, but you need to test on the players in question.

garym
05-18-2008, 12:49 PM
ID3v2.3 UTF-16 works fine in my ITUNES and IPOD.

stealle
05-18-2008, 02:41 PM
1. If you have non-ANSI characters, you HAVE to use Unicode. Non-ANSI characters are mostly non-Latin based languages, such as the Asian-area language (Chinese, Japanese, etc.) and Russian come to mind. If your characters are all normal letters, you should be fine.
2. Yes, go into dBpoweramp Configuration (See "Need to find your version?" below), go to the Codecs tab, click on the "Advanced Options" button at the bottom, then go to your format, if the format accepts UTF-16, it should be an option.
Thanks LtData... Seems like UTF-16 should be the default :confused:(I'm using R13). Bummer, I wish I would have known that before I ripped all these CDs. It appears as though everything works in iTunes. However, I'd like to get my entire collection of FLAC files with UTF-16 (since I get a little OCD with this sort of thing).

I set everything to UTF-16 in the configuration. Is it as simple as running everything through batch convert and do a FLAC to FLAC conversion and the tags will be re-written to UTF-16.

Is that the best way to go about it?

ID3v2.3 UTF-16 works fine in my ITUNES and IPOD.

Thanks for that info.

Spoon
05-18-2008, 04:45 PM
FLAC always is unicode (it is UTF-8), the option you changed is for mp3 only.