PDA

View Full Version : Aleratec support?

kretch
05-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Does dopoweramp support ripping with the Aleratec cd copy towers?

Thanks
Kretch

bhoar
05-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Does dopoweramp support ripping with the Aleratec cd copy towers?

Thanks
Kretch

kretch - can you provide a link to the units you are referring to?

One thing to note is that most cd or dvd duplicator towers do not provide external hookups for the optical drives inside or, if they do, it is usually a usb hookup to a single burner (for mastering purposes) and most of the drives cannot be hooked up to a computer without rewiring the unit and adding bridge boards.

(maybe that was more than one thing to note... :) )

-brendan

kretch
05-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Thanks much
here's the unit I'm thinking of

http://store.aleratec.com/13dvaupuls.html

Cheers

Kretch

bhoar
05-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks much
here's the unit I'm thinking of

http://store.aleratec.com/13dvaupuls.html

Cheers

Kretch

Now? No, there is no driver for it. Future? Hard to say.

I don't have any of the Aleratec robotic units to experiment with and from the pictures the robotic picker looks substantially different than the ones I am familiar with.

The aleratec units without an internal duplicator controller connect to a host PC via a single USB connection. And obviously there's a USB hub inside to support the drives. The question is what is between the hub and the robot control board processor.

If the robotic controller sits on the far side of a USB<->serial bridge, then support could probably be added via the ULCLI tool relatively easily (via logging what their bundled software does using the portmon.exe tool). If, on the other hand, they use a proprietary USB driver all bets are off and a custom driver would be required which would entail substantial development time.

The aleratec site appears to have zero instruction manuals or pdf files that would point me to a conclusion of support being easy or hard to add.

-brendan

bhoar
05-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I sent email to their support contact to see if they'd be willing to a) let me know if the robot controller is serial controlled and b) if so they'd send me the command set used.

-brendan

kretch
05-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks Brendan

bhoar
05-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks Brendan

Do understand that it's very possible they'll either say they're not interested or not even respond at all. But why not take the chance? :)

-brendan