PDA

View Full Version : Using AccurateRip from other OSes

Aragon
04-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi,

I want to rip CDs on my FreeBSD workstation. I've seen some discussion here about porting dbpoweramp to other OSes (Mac, Linux), but frankly I'm more interested in just being able to rip my tracks with existing open source software and then verifying the ripped files with AccurateRip's database. How can I go about doing this?

Thanks,
Aragon

Porcus
05-02-2008, 10:35 AM
I want to rip CDs on my FreeBSD workstation. I've seen some discussion here about porting dbpoweramp to other OSes (Mac, Linux), but frankly I'm more interested in just being able to rip my tracks with existing open source software and then verifying the ripped files with AccurateRip's database. How can I go about doing this?

This is a basic problem which I hope I don't make a fool out of myself describing:

-> There is no consensus among CD-drive manufacturers on where an audio CD starts.

-> So, if you rip a disc on two drives, you cannot expect to get the same number of "trailing zeroes before the first 1" -- hence they won't be bit-identical.

-> EAC and dBpoweramp measure the offset for each drive and make the appropriate adjustment before writing to file.

-> Without such an adjustment, two correctly ripped files with different number of trailing 0's, will get different checksums in AccurateRip.

-> IOW: unless your ripping software and hardware combination just by coincidence uses the same offset as the AccurateRip benchmark, all your files will fail to match AccurateRip.

With that in mind, have a look at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=53583http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t62522.html

-- or do like I did, and adopt the pragmatic point of view and consider proprietary software. After all, if you trust Mr Spoon's (closed-source, I suppose?) AccurateRip database application, then you might consider trusting his ripping application too. Heck, I am a daily GNUser, a researcher with a natural bias for software scrutinized the science way (i.e. open source, for those who didn't understand it), but for the task of ripping my precious music collection I chose to buy a laptop with BillXP MCE because that's the preferred OS for Sony's buggy DVD changer (loaded with Sony's buggy closed-source firmware), and then I bought Spoon's CD closed-source ripping software, using his not-yet-bug-free alpha version, verified by his database.

And you know what bothers me most about all this? That I bought hardware from the company which tried to infect their customers with malware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal). Argh.

Aragon
05-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for link! I've had a brief look at the script and will play with it soon.

Roger on the offset issue. I did have that in mind too. I'm fairly certain cdparanoia allows one to specify an offset when ripping and I'll confirm my first rips against EAC's results.

I'm pretty commited to open source these days. I don't even run prebundled windows on my laptop anymore. Never been happier!