PDA

View Full Version : Tagging FLAC

stealle
04-27-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't know enough about tagging. If there is a guide or tutorial so I can learn a bit more, please provide a url. At the moment I am specifically looking for answers to these questions:

1. I'm archiving my collection (hence FLAC). I'd like to one rip once and get it right the first time. Under dBpoweramp CD ripper -> options -> MetaData & IDTag Options -> under "Write ID Tags," Is there any reason why it would not be recommended to check/enable everything? It seems like for archiving the more information the better, right? or wrong?

2. Also, under DSP settings -> ReplayGain... This is just more tagging information right. Just in case I use a device that is capable of using the ReplayGain tagging information? Is there any reason why it would not be advised to use this tagging information as my default settings.

3. Anything else I should enable before I rip to FLAC for archiving?

Thanks!

LtData
04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
1. Check the normal options, such as Artist, title, album, etc. I also check AccurateRip, so that the accuraterip result and checksum is written to the track. While this does not currently have any use, Spoon plans on adding to AccurateRip a utility to verify already-ripped tracks with this tag at some point.
2. Yes, the ReplayGain DSP just adds tag values and does not alter the file, the Volume Normalize DSP with the ReplayGain option DOES alter the files.
3. Make sure AccurateRip is configured for your drive.

stealle
04-27-2008, 05:30 PM
1. For ReplayGain, I checked/enabled "Calculate Track Gain" AND "Calculate Album Gain". Is that a good idea?

2. Under "Calculate Album Gain", I have two options: "Album ID Tag" and "All files in batch same album." Which one should I pick for my default setting?

Thanks LtData!

LtData
04-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Pick "Album ID Tag", otherwise it treats all the files you are converting as one album.

ikrananka
04-29-2008, 06:42 PM
2. Also, under DSP settings -> ReplayGain... This is just more tagging information right. Just in case I use a device that is capable of using the ReplayGain tagging information? Is there any reason why it would not be advised to use this tagging information as my default settings.
Thanks!
I play my flac files through a Sonos system (www.sonos.com). This system only partially implements replay gain (by track only) and does not allow the user to manually turn off the gain. So when playing back a single album each tracks volume will be automatically adjusted up and down according to the track gain values - this is not what most listeners want. So in my case I have decided to not add the ReplayGain tags.

If at a future point Sonos provides a better implementation I would just apply the tags retrospectively using DMC.

LtData
04-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Note that if you are planning on applying ReplayGain to files after they are already encoded, I recommend using the [ReplayGain] utility codec, which applies RG without needing to re-encode.