PDA

View Full Version : Endless "Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection"

Don H
04-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Hello,

My CD Ripper was working fine until I changed DVD drives. Now I get endlessly prompted for Key Discs. Whatever disc I provide, I get the same message:

"This Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection (it does not match the one stored in AccurateRips database)"

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2. My new drive is a Pioneer DVR-215D. I've tried uninstalling (using the dbPowerAmp utility which wipes "program files", registry, and application data) and reinstalling. I've also disabled my (McAfee) firewall.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank...

Don

Spoon
04-18-2008, 03:03 AM
Perhaps there is a fault with the drive?

chileboy
04-18-2008, 08:48 AM
The same thing happened to me when I got a new PC a couple of months back - I just kept feeding it discs until it found a couple it was happy with. I think at first it would "forget" too, it would be OK for a set of rips, but next time I started the program it would ask me again. Curiously, as I recall it needs a couple of "good ones" in a row, sometimes the same discs would work/not work depending on its mood.

After a few restarts it was fine, and it hasn't reoccurred.

I didn't have the issue at all on my original PC. Both Toshiba Tecra laptops, this one obviously a newer model.

- Mark

Don H
04-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks guys,

Things are working out much like chileboy's experience. Here is my advise to anyone the same situation. Keep on trying discs until you find three that work. Don't give up just because a key disc "cannot be used". I tried dozens of "key" discs before I found three that worked. Just keep plugin away. Thanks again!

Don H

richidoo
04-22-2008, 04:07 PM
What IS a key disc? My Accurate Rip says "waiting for key disc to find offset." I'm not getting the pop-up dialogue promised in the help file. Maybe that's why ultra is not active yet either. No point ripping a bunch of obscure CDs without error correction turned on.

I guess key disk is some double platinum hiphop disk whose offset value is statistically significant enough on AR to be definitive reference for offset, to compare to my drive? I need three of those?? That might be tough with my CD collection. I don't listen to pop or rock.
Thanks
Rich

Spoon
04-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Try your most popular cds.

Paul_A/V
05-30-2008, 11:15 PM
I am having a similar problem. Just a day or two ago it seemed all of my discs were being found. Now today I go to setup my secondary CD drive to use with CD Ripper and during offset detection it tells me the key disc could not be found. It's the same key disc I used for my primary CD drive. I tried using two other discs found in the key disc list to no avail. What could be the problem?

Spoon
05-31-2008, 04:00 AM
Some drives are difficult to configure.

Paul_A/V
05-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks Spoon. I've finally got it to recognize about 10 key discs but now it wants 3 key discs with the same offset. None of them have been very close to each other and I am about 40 discs into my collection. This is very frustrating.

Paul_A/V
05-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Wouldn't you know it. I post the previous reply and a handful of discs later and the three matching discs. Well it's all worth it to insure accurate rips. :-)

mkmossop
09-27-2019, 12:27 AM
Can someone name 3 matching discs that they used? I bought 3 cd's today just for the purpose of setting up poweramp, but I keep getting the message that the cd's can't be used.

I don't really own any cd's... I just bought the Layla Master Recordings and want to rip it. Don't wanna keep buying cd's to try to calibrate this thing though.

Spoon
09-27-2019, 05:15 AM
There is no definitive list as it depends on pressing version of the CD you have. You have to keep feeding CDs until it configures, or get a drive which is already in the database and it will configure with any disc in the database.

mkmossop
09-28-2019, 12:20 AM
Alright well that sucks. Guess I gotta buy a few more cd's. I have one that seems to work, so I guess I need 2 more.

garym
09-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Alright well that sucks. Guess I gotta buy a few more cd's. I have one that seems to work, so I guess I need 2 more.

Check out some popular cds from the library or borrow some from a friend.

mkmossop
09-28-2019, 01:55 PM
Good ideas thanks!

Rogert3
05-16-2021, 12:25 PM
Hello,

My CD Ripper was working fine until I changed DVD drives. Now I get endlessly prompted for Key Discs. Whatever disc I provide, I get the same message:

"This Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection (it does not match the one stored in AccurateRips database)"

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2. My new drive is a Pioneer DVR-215D. I've tried uninstalling (using the dbPowerAmp utility which wipes "program files", registry, and application data) and reinstalling. I've also disabled my (McAfee) firewall.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank...

Don

Just a note for any frustrated users that this problem is alive and well in 2021! I have reinstalled dbpa onto my brand new laptop, and tried literally dozens of CDs, including popular classics (Graceland, Raising Sand, Back to Black) and newer stuff before finally striking lucky with some fairly niche classical CDs on Naxos and ASV. I would have given up, if it had not accepted one of the Naxos CD relatively early on (together with a message that it needed 3 Key Discs to verify the offset, so please insert another Key Disc). As I said above, I tried dozens before it inexplicably accepted a couple more. The moral of this post: keep on trying, even though it apparently makes no sense to do so!

IrishPub
12-14-2021, 07:56 AM
Just a note for any frustrated users that this problem is alive and well in 2021! I have reinstalled dbpa onto my brand new laptop, and tried literally dozens of CDs, including popular classics (Graceland, Raising Sand, Back to Black) and newer stuff before finally striking lucky with some fairly niche classical CDs on Naxos and ASV. I would have given up, if it had not accepted one of the Naxos CD relatively early on (together with a message that it needed 3 Key Discs to verify the offset, so please insert another Key Disc). As I said above, I tried dozens before it inexplicably accepted a couple more. The moral of this post: keep on trying, even though it apparently makes no sense to do so!
I just bought a new PC and was having this key disc detection problem. I tried dozens of rock and jazz CDs. I tried old discs. I tried new discs. I tried popular discs and unpopular discs. But nada. Then, after seeing Rogert3's post, I switched to classical discs, and I got all three necessary key discs in less than 20 CDs. So if you've got a classic collection, try those discs!