PDA

View Full Version : Question about Replaygain and Volume Normalize

wolf333
04-04-2008, 06:39 PM
IF I have applied replaygain to a batch of flac files, and then batch convert them to mp3, does volume normalize (replaygain - track gain) use the track gain tag? Or, is the gain recomputed?

LtData
04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
If you use the ReplayGain in the Volume Normalize DSP effect, the track gain values for ReplayGain are computed and then the file is altered with those values. Therefore when you transcode the file, the changes are kept as the file itself is altered.

hinges
04-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Is it possible to use volume normalize to apply Replay Gain values calculated as album gain?
I use a Zune 80, which does not support Replay Gain, so I have to use volume normalize, but I would like to use the album gain values (rather than the track gain values - which is the only option under volume normalize) to preserve track to track differences within albums.

Spoon
04-13-2008, 12:24 PM
No only track gain currently.

hinges
04-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks. Alternatively, is there a way to use volume normalize to adjust the volume of a track by its current replay gain value? If there was, I could do this in two goes, once to set the replay gain (by album) for my lossless archive, and again to actually normalize to those values and convert to lossy.

hinges
04-13-2008, 06:56 PM
I just looked at the feature list for the R13 Alpha, and saw this: "CoreConverter: can pass replaygain tags to encoders which need them (such as [audio info])" will that do what I want?

LtData
04-13-2008, 09:20 PM
That will do the first part, but the volume-normalize RG effect needs to be changed to accept that input.

hinges
04-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Thanks. I've found a workaround using WaveGain (I'll convert everything to wav, use WaveGain to calculate each album's gain, and then convert the originals to lossy using volume normalize to apply the gain), but i'll have to do each album manually, so could you consider this a feature request? Or should I go post in the relevant thread? Either way, thanks for your help!

LtData
04-14-2008, 07:16 AM
If you want to make a feature request, it would be best to make a thread in the Wishlist section of this forum.