PDA

View Full Version : Gap detection - Should I care about it? - Does R12 have it?

citron
04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Short version of the questions; does dBpoweramp R12 have gap detection? And, more importantly, does it even matter (see below)?

(Sorry for this very basic question, but I've been searching Google and this forum for about three hours, and can't find the answer (the forum search engine would not let me search on the word "gap" because it is too short))

For archival purposes, I'm looking to rip my CDs to FLAC. From there, I will put them on a portable media player to use in my car (yeah, I'm aware iPods don't directly support FLAC...I'll worry about converting them to Windows Media or ALAC at a later time).

I'm new to all this. Should I even car about gaps? Is gap detection even necessary for the above situation? I won't be re-burning the ripped to CD.

I downloaded the trial version of dBpoweramp to see if it listed gap detection somewhere. I ripped a CD and couldn't find any mention of gap detection in the GUI or in the Options.

Thanks in advance.

Spoon
04-04-2008, 03:46 PM
dBpoweramp will not detect the gaps (they are prepended to tracks).

Generally gap detection is not needed (IMHO).

Tigerman
04-06-2008, 05:05 AM
dBpoweramp will not detect the gaps (they are prepended to tracks).

Generally gap detection is not needed (IMHO).

Personally I find the 'Leave out gaps' function in EAC very useful, but that's because I collect songs from the whitburn list and I don't want the 2 seconds of silence at the end of every song.
I admit: I'll be an exception ;)