PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DVR-215L not recognized in dBpoweramp

Diabolo
04-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi,

My new Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-215L drive is not recognized in dBPoweramp 12.4 (Reference Edition). It does not appear in the drives list.

The drive is recognized in Windows and in all my other applications, including EAC, Nero Burning Rom, Nero InfoTool, Nero DiscSpeed, DVDInfoPro, and so on...

EAC works perfectly, detects the features, AccurateRip detects the read offset, and CDs are ripped normally.

The drive is originally a DVR-215D with a firmware crossflashed to DVR-215L (commercial name DVR-S15J in Japan) with support for DVD-RAM writing and Labelflash printing.

The drive works perfectly...excepted in dBpoweramp... :(

With the original firmware, the drive works well with dBPoweramp.

Quite strange, isn't it?

Perharps a problem in the drive detection ?

Thanks

Spoon
04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Which Windows Version?

Diabolo
04-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Which Windows Version?
Hi Spoon,

It is Windows XP SP2 with the last updates.

Spoon
04-03-2008, 09:51 AM
In CD Ripper >> Options

try the different communication methods.

Diabolo
04-03-2008, 10:27 AM
First, I have to say there are two drives installed in my PC, the Pioneer DVR-215L (SATA) and a Plextor PX-716A (IDE).

I've just tested the different communication methods in the CD Ripper :

- SCSI Pass Through (SPT) (default one)
PX-716A detected
DVR-215L not detected

- Windows Internal [For Limited Accounts]
PX-716A detected
DVR-215L detected

- ASPI
<no drives detected>

- ASPI [Ahead Nero]
CD Ripper hangs... I have to reboot and reset the CDRipper_Com key in the registry.....

I have also checked the communication method in EAC:
Actually the parameter "Use of SCSI interface" has the value "Installed external ASPI". I suppose this is Adaptec ASPI 4.71.2.

Spoon
04-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Perhaps the modified firmware means the drive is not reporting its self as a CD Rom, rather removable device?

Diabolo
04-03-2008, 12:37 PM
How can I check this ?

In the Windows Device Manager, the drive is in the "CD-ROM/DVD-ROM" device class (the same as the Plextor drive).

I haven't noticed any change in the device recognition in Windows after the firmware changes (excepted the name of the drive itself)...

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-215D
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-215
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-215L

Only the last isn't recognized with the default method (SPT).

Is there a way to test the values returned by the API during the drive detection (with a test program, debug mode, ... ) ?

I could do the tests with different drive/firmware/communication methods if you need some information.

bhoar
04-03-2008, 01:21 PM
How can I check this ?

In the Windows Device Manager, the drive is in the "CD-ROM/DVD-ROM" device class (the same as the Plextor drive).

I haven't noticed any change in the device recognition in Windows after the firmware changes (excepted the name of the drive itself)...

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-215D
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-215
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-215L

Only the last isn't recognized with the default method (SPT).

Is there a way to test the values returned by the API during the drive detection (with a test program, debug mode, ... ) ?

I could do the tests with different drive/firmware/communication methods if you need some information.

One idea for Spoon:

Perhaps the fact that the new device identification is a superset of the last one (previously recognized) might be uncovering a lookup bug in the cd ripper?

One idea for Diablo:

Perhaps try deleting the device in the device manager (and perhaps also the interface it is connected to) and then reboot, allowing the machine to find and reinstall the device?

-brendan

Diabolo
04-03-2008, 03:15 PM
I've just finished a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 in a separate fresh formatted partition in my PC.

No ASPI, no burning application, nothing.

The DVR-215L is recognized by Windows as usual (as a true CD/DVD-ROM device).

I've then installed dBPoweramp.

The problem is exactly the same.

There are only two communication methods (no ASPI) :

- SCSI Pass Through (SPT) (default one)
PX-716A detected
DVR-215L not detected

- Windows Internal [For Limited Accounts]
PX-716A detected
DVR-215L detected

In the "Windows Internal" mode the functions are limited (no C2, no FUA,...).

In this partition, I can do all the tests you need (even break everything ;) )

Any idea to debug the detection of the drive using the SPT Interface ?

Diabolo
04-04-2008, 10:05 AM
I have tested today the communication methods in EAC.

What EAC call "Native Win32 Interface" works well, and my DVR-215L drive is properly detected.

As far as I know, this interface is the same thing as the "SCSI Pass Through" Interface (SPT) used in dBpoweramp.

So, there is something I don't understand :sad: :

How the same interface can detect my drive in EAC and not in dBpoweramp?

Thanks

Spoon
04-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Send me an email please mentioning this thread:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm