PDA

View Full Version : Key disc

Dude
03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi,

If I copy a key disc to a CD-R using recording software, can this copy be used as key disc too or can only original CDs be used as key disc?

thx

EliC
03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Only the original (unless you do some complex stuff with read and write offsets, overreading, overwriting - all of which requires the right software and hardware)

Spoon
03-31-2008, 03:19 PM
(short answer no do not do this).

Dude
04-01-2008, 08:01 AM
(short answer no do not do this).

So regular burning software doesn't pay attention to burning offsets, ... . Is that correct?

I also have a related question. I made a copy with CD burning software of a CD that is in accuraterip database. I ripped that copy (CD-R) with dbpoweramp. All tracks say 'Accurate (2)' so it's ripped accurately. But can you trust AccurateRip results on a copied CD-R (of original disc) or is it the same as with copying key discs (so it can't be trusted for some reason?).

thx

Spoon
04-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Correct most burning software does not write the correct offsets.

It is possible to rip on a drive without offsets and write without offsets and have the correct offest (a drive might have -6 write offset and +6 read offset).

bhoar
04-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Correct most burning software does not write the correct offsets.

It is possible to rip on a drive without offsets and write without offsets and have the correct offest (a drive might have -6 write offset and +6 read offset).

Though most drives do not have the same read offset as write offset, IIRC.

-brendan

Dude
04-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I also have a related question. I made a copy with CD burning software of a CD that is in accuraterip database. I ripped that copy (CD-R) with dbpoweramp. All tracks say 'Accurate (2)' so it's ripped accurately. But can you trust AccurateRip results on a copied CD-R (of original disc) or is it the same as with copying key discs (so it can't be trusted for some reason?).

This question above is not answered in general I think. Can copied CD-R's of discs that are in AccurateRip database also be used with AccurateRip or not (because of some reason)?

thx

Dude
04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
This question above is not answered in general I think. Can copied CD-R's of discs that are in AccurateRip database also be used with AccurateRip or not (because of some reason)?

thx

Hi

is there anybody who can answer my last question please?

thx

bhoar
04-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi

is there anybody who can answer my last question please?

thx

In general no, you cannot do this with the vast majority of existing CD-R copies of audio CDs out there.

The caveat is that it is possible with the right hardware, software, configuration and technique: you need an offset aware ripping program properly configured for your drive, a lossless audio codec for storing the audio and an offset aware buring program (again, properly configured for your drive). In addition, your drive needs to be able to write in the same locations it read from, which isn't always possible, so the hardware matters too.

But, in general, if someone hands you a CD-R copy of an audio CD they made, there's a > 90% (maybe even greater) chance that it can't be matched to accuraterip even if it was a perfect burn and it and the source are in perfect condition.

-brendan

PS - one more caveat: I'm assuming the CD-Rs are copies of original glass-master audio CDs. If the release itself was never stamped but was burned (often small/short-run releases are burned, esp. for small/indy artists) and was always done on the same equipment with the same software, then it should be possible for AR to work there. Assuming AR gathers info from CD-Rs...

PPS - question for spoon: does accuraterip care if the disc was a CD-R before gathering information and submitting it to accuraterip? or does it only submit stamped CDs?

Spoon
04-08-2008, 10:28 AM
It can submit from cd-r

Dude
04-09-2008, 07:57 AM
IBut, in general, if someone hands you a CD-R copy of an audio CD they made, there's a > 90% (maybe even greater) chance that it can't be matched to accuraterip even if it was a perfect burn and it and the source are in perfect condition.

I made a copy of a CD to CD-R and it matched AccurateRip results. So can I assume I was lucky with that copy and it was burned correctly OR can it be that it 'accidently' matches AccurateRip, while the copy can be incorrectly burned?
So my question is: if a copied CD-R of an original CD matches AccurateRip when ripping it, you can assume safely it was burned correctly?

thx

Dude
04-09-2008, 07:59 AM
It can submit from cd-r

But isn't the AccurateRip database filled with junk then in those cases?
Because anyone can copy an original CD to CD-R, rip it and commit it to AccurateRip.
So then you can have a whole scrapyard of all different burned CD-R's (all different offset) of the same original CD with all different AccurateRip results?

I was just wondering this :)

Spoon
04-09-2008, 09:41 AM
AccurateRip is immune to such 'junk'