PDA

View Full Version : *How* secure is burst rip + AccurateRip lookup?

Porcus
03-19-2008, 09:36 AM
I am not asking about the possible false positives from the AccurateRip thread, this question concerns something else:
There are probably a lot of CDs pressed with errors -- meaning the same error occurs on every single disc. I assume that to the extent that C2 error checking would improve on a rip, this remains unnoticed as long as someone rips in burst mode, and definitely as long as your "secure" modus operandi is burst--compare AR--done if matches.

Have I totally missed the point here? And if not, does anyone have any idea of the possible impact?

(And, should I rather have asked this question over at Hydrogenaudio? I put it here as dBP secure works this way.)

Spoon
03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
If the disc has a manufacturing defect, it is llkely this error will be a consistant error, so re-reading in secure mode would not find it. C2 should highlight it.

Porcus
03-24-2008, 09:24 AM
If the disc has a manufacturing defect, it is llkely this error will be a consistant error, so re-reading in secure mode would not find it. C2 should highlight it.

And so I understand that dBpoweramp will not detect it in any mode, since it first checks for a clean AR hit and only then decides on invoking C2, am I right?

EliC
03-24-2008, 09:55 AM
I guess I do not understand C2. Why would C2 show a manufacturing defect?

EliC
03-24-2008, 09:58 AM
This thread and the small possibility of errors in the current AR bring up my request for an additional option in Ultra-Secure ripping.

I would like an option to force ultrasecure unless AR is correct AND NO c2 errors are detected.

LtData
03-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Looks like to me C2 is used before AR is checked, as shown here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/secure-ripper.htm

EliC
03-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Looks like to me C2 is used before AR is checked, as shown here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/secure-ripper.htm

Yes, but if AR matches it ignores the C2 errors even though its remotely possible to have errors missed by AR.