PDA

View Full Version : Adding Replay Gain

akopperl
03-16-2008, 10:26 PM
I ripped (using dbpoweramp CD Ripper) about 100 CDs to FLAC, then decided I wanted to add replay gain (both track and album). I used the Music Converter and did it by selecting to Convert the tracks to FLAC and activated the Replay Gain DSP. Is that the most efficient way to do it? It took quite some time as it re-encoded each file. Does it cause any harm to the file when it converts FLAC to FLAC?

Also, is it safe to assume it is more effective to add Replay Gain during the rip going forward? Does adding Reply Gain modify the audio in any way and compromise the quality?

Sorry for all of the questions, but before I finish ripping the rest of my collection, I want to determine the most efficient way to add Replay Gain and ascertain whether I have to re-rip the original 100 CDs.

Thanks

Teknojnky
03-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Hi, just select replay gain on the convert to dialog, you do not need to re-encode flac to flac.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2062/clipboard01cl0.th.jpg (http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clipboard01cl0.jpg)

When ripping, select replaygain from the dsp tab.

akopperl
03-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the reply - I didn't realize that you had to install ReplayGain.

When I re-encoded everything FLAC-to_FLAC, did I cause any harm to the ripped tracks or was it just an inefficient way to accomplish my goal?

Thanks

Teknojnky
03-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Well unless there were decoding errors, lossless to lossless should always be harmless, other than as you mentioned, not very efficient use of time.

73ChargerFan
03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Can this be installed by default?

Replay Gain support is an important feature for me, and I had no idea this was available. On the web site, the font is very tiny.

Spoon
03-28-2008, 04:17 PM
It is with Reference.

LtData
03-28-2008, 06:27 PM
73ChargerFan, are you using Firefox to view the website? In my experience, some of the font is tiny when using Firefox, but in Internet Explorer 7, it looks fine.

Buvy
04-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Well I just batch converted about 200 albums to FLAC last night adding replay gain and it only seemed to put the album gain on some of the albums but not all of them. Clearly I want to use album gain over track gain so I need to re-apply it to the ones that are missing.

This caused me to hit up google which brought me to this thread which looks like it would solve my issue the only problem is my dBpoweramp converter doesn't have replay gain as a selectable conversion option only as a DSP effect which requires a conversion to occur.

I have paid for reference 12.4 so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Buvy

Spoon
04-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Codec Central >> Utility codecs at the bottom of the page, install [ReplayGain]

Buvy
04-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Ahh thanks for helping a noob out spoon you rock.

Love the program BTW

Buvy
04-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Ok another question I just did a replay gain only batch on the files that didn't have the album gain from yesterday and again it didn't put an album gain in the tags.

Is there any way to find out why this is happening? There isn't an error log popping up.

Thanks,
Buvy

Teknojnky
04-11-2008, 06:23 PM
I assume you have both track and album gain checked in the replay gain settings?

what kind of files?

also, what are you using to see if album gain was added?

not all programs support album gain

LtData
04-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Do the files that don't get RG have the same album tag? Did the files come from the same place as the files that ARE getting RG?

Buvy
04-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I assume you have both track and album gain checked in the replay gain settings?

Yes both are checked and album is determined by Album ID (albummode="0")

what kind of files?

FLAC

also, what are you using to see if album gain was added?

The dBpoweramp tag editor from windows explorer. The replaygain_track_gain and replaygain_track_peak is always there 100% of the time it's just the album values are not always there.

not all programs support album gain

I understand this fully :D

Upon further review it appears that it will not write the album gain via albummode="0" on any files stored in a folder containing a spanish question mark (¿) anywhere in the name. With that said you can at least run albummode="1" and specify just the songs in the folder that couldn't be batched so at least that will work as a workaround for me.

I'm just trying to make sure before I archive this stuff off to DVD as part of my disaster recovery plan I'd like to have the replay gain info already tagged in the files so I don't have to mess with it should I ever need to dig out the archives.

Buvy
04-11-2008, 08:07 PM
I should also note that it seems like with albummode="1" the files are just being updated where as with albummode="0" the files are being re-written entirely during the "finalizing dsp effects" because I see it creating .tmp files of exactly the same size as it's going folder by folder putting the the album gain info into the files.

Buvy
04-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Just for an FYI......

Here's a screenshot showing the various file times

http://i30.tinypic.com/5l5c3d.jpg *made screenshot a link since it would force horizontal scrolling on the thread*

You can see the music converter still "finalizing dsp effects"

You can see the temp file that it is re-creating as I highlighted it.

The 7:01 timestamp was when the track gain was written to the file during the replay gain batch it's taken an 1 hour and 21 minutes to write the album gain to all the files prior.

This may be the expected behavior I'm not 100% sure if so please remove my posts.

Spoon
04-12-2008, 04:41 AM
Install the latest beta flac codec, that will help with rewriting.