PDA

View Full Version : Too many scratches in Secure mode = failure and deletion! :(

Falcon4
03-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Hmm, hard to come up with a title for my issue.

I want to be able to use error correction as much as possible using secure mode on a track, to correct as many glitches as possible, but still continue if it can't read something. It already does this in most places, but for some reason, over badly scratched tracks, it will actually GIVE UP and delete the whole track in an "error" condition! That's no good!

Isn't there a way to avoid this condition? I don't have "Mark track as error if insecure" turned on. I just get an error dialog saying:

Error ripping to m4a Nero (AAC), 'Track 15' to '(Foo)'
Error re-ripping bad sector [clRipperSecure::ReadNextBadSector]

The relevant part, of course, being "Error re-ripping bad sector [clRipperSecure::ReadNextBadSector]". Why should a failure in reading a bad sector be a catastrophic event? Shouldn't it just interpolate it (as I have checked in the options) or create blank space for the duration? Why can't it restart the operation and resume ripping at the next possible good sector?

Seems kinda counterintuitive, and has, in the past, required me to actually use different software to work around, since not even Burst mode would cope with the error. It sometimes wouldn't even be a problem if it would just cut the song off at that point. It actually deletes everything that was good, too!

Ideas? =P

Spoon
03-09-2008, 04:12 AM
The CD drive is failing to return any data, we have planned to make a 3rd ripping mode which would zero thees areas, it is on the wish list (but this mode would not be secure).

Falcon4
03-09-2008, 04:16 AM
Wow, I actually got a reply from teh devmaster! *bows* How awesome is that?

Well, would that third mode at least be similar to secure mode in that it would repair errors when possible? Heck, when I do secure ripping (as I do on all my tracks), I do it for the error correction of possible bad reads, as I have no use for speed, just quality... and not for the "absolute best possible accuracy of the track offset" and whatnot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, is this new third mode like a "recovery" mode or is it just an extension of the "burst" mode? =P

Spoon
03-09-2008, 01:04 PM
No not secure, your work flow would be rip if serious error such as this then change ripping mode, such discs have to be very damaged to return no data.

Falcon4
04-16-2008, 03:15 AM
Well, I just encountered a problem that has made this much more frustrating.

dMC CD ripper is now returning the same kind of "fatal error" on a CD that has only one small nick in the disc that, when played on a regular CD player, causes the CD to skip, but only in one exact part of one song. As a result, I can rip the entire disc in secure mode, except that one song at ALL.

Why does dMC completely erase the song it had already completed? One could actually rip the song with "best effort" by doing a whole mind numbing series of using the "Trim" effect before and after the glitch, and using another (less anal) program to rip over the scratch, and merge the pieces together in Audition... but why can't dMC itself do that?? It has all the information it needs - it knows the exact frame the error occurred in. It could try skipping and zeroing that frame and continue with the rest of the track in secure mode, leaving the user much less frustrated with its behavior of totally discarding the remaining part of the song...

I want secure mode because I don't want to just zip blindly though a track in Burst mode! I want it to AT LEAST TRY to correct errors it sees! So I don't want secure mode to give me absolutely perfect results (if it can't)... I want it to make its best effort to give me the best quality audio possible. I think that's all anyone wants. It's just plain frustrating when it says "I can't make it perfect, so I won't do it at all, and you can't make me!". :(

Just my advice...

edit: It won't even rip it in Burst mode. Ugh... I swear, I could send you this disc. It's absolutely SPOTLESS. There's one thinner-than-hairline scratch in the data layer that's less than an eighth inch long, that's all I can see. I don't know why it's having this much trouble...

Spoon
04-16-2008, 04:30 AM
You have the option Options >> Secure Settings >> 'Mark Track as Error if Insecure', if this is checked the file will be deleted.

Falcon4
04-16-2008, 03:06 PM
It ignores that option. I've seen that option quoted (brought up) a few times here, and I've never checked that...

edit: Well, it doesn't completely ignore it. In the rare case that there's an error just right that doesn't quite make it fail, but still can't be read, then that option works - it dumps the track if there was a part it wasn't "sure" about. In this case, it completely stops ripping and deletes the track if it can't read one tiny, insignificant split second of audio from the CD. :(

Spoon
04-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Yes you are correct, if the CD drive refuses to read a section of the disc, rather than write 1/3th of second of silence we 'bug out'.