PDA

View Full Version : MP3 length at zero

phelixnyc
03-01-2008, 03:03 AM
I downloaded a few speeches in .ra format. I am using dbpoweramp to convert. Downloaded real alternative, direct show codec and helix encoder. I convert the file to mp3 helix and try to play it using itunes and the song length is zero. What am I doing wrong?

Spoon
03-01-2008, 03:42 AM
Try playing the files in Windows Media Player (if it can play then Real Alternative is working, if not, RA is not).

phelixnyc
03-01-2008, 06:28 AM
It wont play. What next? Uninstall ra?

xoas
03-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Phelixnyc-
Are you saying that neither the downloaded RA file not the mp3 file will play or did you try only the mp3 file?
If you right-click on the mp3 file and look at properties, how big is your mp3 file and wahat are the frequency, bitrate and number of channels (assuming that file size is bigger than 1 or 2 kB)?
What size is your downloaded RA file? Could the RA file be protected?

Best wishes,
Bill

phelixnyc
03-01-2008, 11:06 AM
The mp3 would not play after I converted it with dbpoweramp. The mp3 size is 572 bytes, bit rate 10 kbps and channels 2. RA files range from 4 MB and up.

xoas
03-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Assuming that your mp3 file is 572 bytes (rather than kb), I suspect that you have a failed conversion that left just a shell file. Sometimes dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) may attempt a conversion and quit very suddenly leaving just a shell file which (unless examined more closely) looks like the file you were trying to convert. This shell file will be unplayable and probably has little or no audio information in it.

I don't think that the DirectShow codec is at fault although you can try a test conversion of an RA file to try to rule this out. This would be the same as converting the RA file to mp3 except that where you set mp3 as your output format select Test Conversion instead. This should show whether dMC can successfully read your source file (in this case your RA file).

The next thing I would look at is whether you can successfully convert one of these RA files. If you were using the helix encoder to encode to mp3 (I haven't worked with the Helix) I would encourage you to try the Lame encoder instead (you can set the Lame Encoder to a CBR as low as 8 or 16 kbs). And I would encourage you to try using a higher bitrate (sometimes very low bitrate settings might present a problem so then the trick is to confirm that the conversion will work with a more standard setting-say 64 or 96 kbs on up- and then to see how much lower you can successfully go). You might also try going to dBpoweramp configuration and enabling Professional Frequency Conversion. You migt want to use the Resample DSP also to help the program assuming you are changing the frequency of the original source file.

Keep us posted on how you make out.
Best wishes,
Bill

LtData
03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Check and see if Winodws Media Player will play your .ra files.

phelixnyc
03-01-2008, 09:44 PM
I will try all suggestions. Will post results.