PDA

View Full Version : Question about the color of text for CRC

jspaul
02-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Hello everyone.

Could someone please tell me what the difference is in the color of the text for CRC after I rip a CD?

For example, some of the text is black, some is red, and some is green.

All tracks have ripped securely and have AccurateRip.

Thanks.

LtData
02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
From the CD ripper help file:
CRC shows the checksum calculated from the last rip, ripping twice and the CRC numbers will show in Green if matches the previous rip CRC, or in Red if miss-matches. Miss-matching CRCs are a sure sign that one of the rips had errors.I think the CRC is black if the track has only been ripped once.

jspaul
02-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks. That is explains it perfectly. A couple times I had bad rips so I cleaned the CD and ripped again, the CRC would be red but it said the rip was good. The red must mean the prior rip was bad.

Spoon
02-29-2008, 03:20 AM
Red means it is a miss-match with previous, last or current rip could be bad. Green is a match.

pls1
02-29-2008, 11:08 AM
But as per the help file: "the green i indicates that frames had to be re-ripped, possibly an undetected error has slipped through"

Perhaps the i should be orange.

Phil

Spoon
02-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Depends on drive, a drive with good c2, I would trust.

pls1
02-29-2008, 09:26 PM

Now that I've got C2 working reliably and have consistent workflow logs, if I find an error that slips through (since I'm re-ripping all tracks with such an error message on different drives) I'll let you know. Also, when I get to 100 re-ripping on a second drive due to frame re-ripping I'll post my results.

Phil

artisan002
07-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Red means it is a miss-match with previous, last or current rip could be bad. Green is a match.

Ah, okay! I always wondered but was never concerned enough to ask about it. Very cool.

artisan002
07-23-2019, 03:54 PM

This raises a question I'm bound to run into even more: Given what you've said about seemingly severe inconsistency/inequality of C2 implementation across the range of optical drives, is it really something we should trust? Well, that or is there a list of drives that we can confirm handle it correctly?

Spoon
07-23-2019, 03:58 PM
No drives implement C2 that it can be trusted 100%, there is a mathematical hole on c2, at a guess I would say it is around 1% (1% missed error) on spotting an error across a whole disc.

artisan002
07-23-2019, 04:45 PM
No drives implement C2 that it can be trusted 100%, there is a mathematical hole on c2, at a guess I would say it is around 1% (1% missed error) on spotting an error across a whole disc.

1% error rate seems fantastic to me. Now to figure out who makes a drive that can get that accurate.