PDA

View Full Version : rip passes

Dude
02-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi,

What's the recommended amount of passes in the option 'end after x clean passes'? Is it better to keep drive speed at same speed or variable speed during each pass?

thx

Spoon
02-17-2008, 03:26 PM
All depends on drive being used.

Dude
02-17-2008, 07:07 PM
All depends on drive being used.

How can somebody who doesn't know the internals of dbpoweramp (except the text you can read about EAC vs. dbpoweramp ripping tests and algorithm overviews there) find the best values for his drive?
Where do you have to pay attention to or what things to do to find optimal settings?

thx

LtData
02-17-2008, 09:17 PM
It depends on whether your drive supports C2, how well the drive supports C2, how good it is about returning exact data and not interpolating it internally, things like that.

pls1
02-17-2008, 11:57 PM
So Lt. Data, how about a SWAG for three classes of drive:
1. Excellent C2 support (say Plextor 230)-- Recommended passes=
2. OK average C2 support-- Recommnended Pases=
3. Poor/no C2 support (say LG I guess)-- Recommended passes=

Spoon
02-18-2008, 04:11 AM
1 - First Pass + 1 Ultra
2 - Perhaps 2 ultra passes
3 - 3 ultra passes

pls1
02-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks, this will be quite helpful.

Phil

Porcus
03-28-2008, 07:31 PM
I've read a few of these threads, and while I think I sorta understand how things are done in terms of logical flows from start to end, I am not sure when warnings are produced and which procedures are used to detect errors and which are used to mitigate errors.

For example, Ultra Secure mode over Secure: does it help to increase the chance of identical rips, hence a "Secure" rip? Or does it help to increase the chance of non-identical rips, hence "Error" or "Secure" with warning? Or both?

What about re-ripping of bad frames -- does that occur only after the software has decided that the frame qualifies for either warning or error (like: there will be a warning, let's see if we can eliminate an error), or can it also eliminate a warning?

Spoon
03-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Your questions are only specific when asked about exact drives models, there is no universal answer.

Porcus
03-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Does it change unpredictably from one drive/firmware to another, or does it only depend on e.g. C2 capabilities?

Case:
I am using a Sony Mediachanger -- a Matshita DVD-RAM SW-9584 without C2 error pointers -- and a lot of discs and pressings without AR entries.
For troublesome CDs I might want to check for errors, but if any are detected I might rather want to eject those CDs and process them in another drive, than attempting to correct.

So, assuming that I want error detection and not error correction, should I increase or decrease the number of Ultra passes? I suspect I should not increase the number of individual frame re-rips (would increase the probability of 10 identicals, right?), but should I keep re-ripping on or off?

Spoon
03-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Increasing the Ultra passes, increases the chance of a non-existant error making the rip insecure, but at the same time it increases the chances of detecting certain errors. Something like 3 ultra passes will not hurt.

NoMo
08-27-2008, 04:50 AM
It depends on whether your drive supports C2, how well the drive supports C2, how good it is about returning exact data and not interpolating it internally, things like that.

How does one determine "how well the drive supports c2"?

NoMo

Spoon
08-28-2008, 04:38 AM
It is very difficult, there are tests where a CD-R is burnt with known data, damanged then c2 is tested, but personally I do not rate this test as a pressed cd is different to a CD-R as far as the CD drive is concerned.

NoMo
08-29-2008, 02:45 AM
Ok, but can you give a few examples from your experience? What tells you how well a drive supports c2?

NoMo

Spoon
08-29-2008, 04:09 AM
I have a set damaged disc, I put this through many drives and spot when a error is signalled, a very manual process.