PDA

View Full Version : ripping/encoding to FLAC...

GildedSplinter
02-16-2008, 12:35 AM
According to what I've read on this site... I should be able to achieve between 2:1 - 4:1 compression ratios. I have yet to be able to accomplish more than (an inconsistent) 1.6:1, set at compression level 8. I'm attempting to rip from standard audio CD, and encode directly to FLAC... what am I missing???

LtData
02-16-2008, 12:48 AM
What you saw, which I found on the Codec Central page for FLAC, is a best-case scenario. How much the music compresses on a multitude of factors and varying levels of compression are typical.

GildedSplinter
02-16-2008, 01:33 AM
I gotta say... I've poured a ridiculous amount of time into researching lossless codecs, rippers, & encoders... and more specifically... how to use dbpoweramp & get what I want out of it. Finally, after WEEKS of researching all of this and thinking I'd found the best thing on the web for my needs... I'm finding out that Windows Media Lossless takes up less space than FLAC?!?!? PLEASE say it isn't so!!!

The reason I started looking for something better, was because I decided that I wanted to store my entire CD collection, in a lossless format, on my external harddrive. I started with Windows lossless, and noticed that my drive was filling up WWWWWAAAAAYYYYYY too quickly, so the search for a lossless with better compression was on.

I just ripped one of my CDs to FLAC using dbpoweramp with the compression set on level 8. The file size was 272MB. Ripping the same disc to Windows Lossless using WMP... the file size was 266MB! I just GOTTA be doin' somthin' wrong... :(

pls1
02-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Newegg is selling a Western Digital Caviar 750 Gb Drive for $139 and free shipping.

Using FLAC you will get 62 few CDs than the 2820 CDs with Windows Lossless which is a rounding error. Average lossless storage cost for a CD at todays prices is about 5 CENTS per CD.

Phil