PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody used d_skins on audio CDs when ripping?

kdq
02-10-2008, 05:58 PM
I went out to a customer site yesterday, with one of my specially prepared Windows XP bootable CDs - a fresh burn, as it my wont. When I took the CD out, after an hour and a half, not only was there a scored ring in the middle of the CD, but the edge of the CD looked like sombody had been chewing on it.

Having just pirchased a large number of CDs, and having quite a few irreplacable old ones, I stared at the CD in horror. I almost don't want to put my CDs into a reader without protection. And I certainly won't lend any out (were I foolish enough to consider this) without some protection.

So - has anybody ripped a CD whilst using D_Skins (on the CD, not yourself)? Does it work? Can secure copies be made?

LtData
02-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Not sure about the D_Skins, but I had a similar situatin happen at work, only I was moving the computer at the time (tilting it forward) while on when I heard an awful noise that turned out to be the CD's edges being shredded and a scored ring in the middle of it, as you described. Is your computer a desktop or laptop? Upright or sideways?

kdq
02-11-2008, 11:45 PM
This wasn't my machine - it was a customer's - and fortunately, not an original audio CD. It was a desktop, flat style.

kdq
03-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Just to make it available for others:

Yes, you can do secure rips with d_skin protectors on CDs.

Next, I'm going to try burning a CD with a d_skin on, making sure it's identical whether read with or without the d_skin. Stay tuned.