PDA

View Full Version : AccurateRip - Master offest correction

EliC
01-27-2008, 11:30 AM
On the old AR forum there was mention of possible work being done to allow AR to check between pressings by finding and accounting for the master offset. Is this still going to be looked at / developed? I think this would be fantastic as one of the most common complaints I hear is people saying there pressing is not in the db.

Spoon
01-27-2008, 12:56 PM
If I get chance it will be implemented, it is not a high priority (like updating CD Writer or Sveta).

bhoar
01-27-2008, 01:02 PM
On the old AR forum there was mention of possible work being done to allow AR to check between pressings by finding and accounting for the master offset. Is this still going to be looked at / developed? I think this would be fantastic as one of the most common complaints I hear is people saying there pressing is not in the db.

Just a side comment: different pressing aren't guaranteed to differ simply due to offset, though I wouldn't be surprised if that is the *usual* difference.

Having had a small record label, the several disc-making/pressing plants/businesses we dealt with often pushed us to buy additional services that would be applied to the pre-tracked (to meet redbook standard) DAT masters that we would send in. We always used the bare minimum services, though there was typically a mastering step that they required us to pay for before the glass-master was made, even though we'd essentially done the work already. We asked them to avoid making any substantive changes to the audio, having tweaked it in the studio to where we wanted it.*

If possible, we tried to use the same plant and service level (and therefore, same glass master they already created so the pressing would end up identical) for later pressings. That is, unless they misplaced the glass master and had to recreated it.

Occasionally, due to release schedules, we would have to go with another plant, and if their equipment (or setup routines) differed, I suppose we ended up with a different offset. If we somehow managed to not avoid some of their add-on services, we may have ended up with different audio or track-offsets as well.

-brendan

* this was for CDs of course...for vinyl, it was much impossible to avoid any sonic changes, as the changes were required to meet the physical requirements of the grooves and tracking limitations of stylii. We were generally happy with the plants' mastering efforts with vinyl, of course - we'd had some good people in the DC music scene whop had worked with lots of plants to give us the best recommendations.

EliC
01-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Well, if it works, great, if not you are left where you are now anyway.