PDA

View Full Version : Resampling MP3 library

crimson
01-15-2008, 01:29 PM
I am considering this software for the simple task of batch resampling a large (300 gB) music library. The files are a variation of CBR and VBR (128-320)
All files have very accurate ID3v2 tags including album art (100's of hours spent)
My intension is to establish a second library with all files at 128 CBR for use on portable devices.

Will this software handle this task and retain all tag information including theembedded pictures (album art)

Thanks for all input!

Spoon
01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Yes it can.

crimson
01-17-2008, 07:53 AM
OK, I downloaded the trial software and converted one album in batch mode.
8 out of nine tracks was converted successfully, all tags including album art made it fine through the process. One track however was trunkated and the file size ended up at about 700k while it shoud have been ~4M.
This file plays well untill it prematurely ends.

Then I tried a larger batch resampling of ~1000 tracks. The computer crashed somewhere in the job, and I had to power toggle the PC.

Next I disconnected the PC from the LAN, stopped all virus and spyware programs and started a smaller batch resampling of 10 albums or so.
When I came back to the PC after some 20 minutes the PC had rebooted somewhere during the conversion process. Some files up to 10 had been successfully converted before the PC auto rebooted.

How "big" can a batch job be?
Any explanation for the crashing of the PC?

LtData
01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Your PC crashing sounds like an overheating problem, in all honesty. Open up the case and put your hand on the CPU heatsink. If it is too hot to touch, your system is overheating.

crimson
01-18-2008, 03:00 AM
You were right, Sir !
Removal of PC side panels and external fan made the resampling batch a breeze.

Salut! :thumbup:

heinz57g
01-21-2008, 04:23 AM
tried to do the same thing crimson did, but am also not getting anywhere: it works fine if i enter some 50-60 files at a time, but if i do more (200+, for sure always) it just lets the entire prog vanish.

happens immdtly, so it can have nothing to do with heat.

computer does not crash, and the prog can be started immdtly thereafter, same result.

is there a max file limit it can handle?

greetings - heinz -

PS: XPhome fully updated

crimson
01-21-2008, 04:50 AM
I don't have problems now.
Started a 8500 file batch before the weekend. Still in process with ~600 more files to go, should complete tonight. I'll report back the results tomorrow.:thumbup:

Spoon
01-21-2008, 05:55 AM
No maximum file problems.

heinz57g
01-21-2008, 06:39 AM
understood, but pls, so what cld it be? just tried again, and whosh,
the prog is gone - not frozen or stopped, just gone as if turned off.

what cld i be doing wrong, pls?

greetings - heinz -

LtData
01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Where are the files located, heinz: a local drive, network drive, external drive? Where are you converting to?

heinz57g
01-21-2008, 10:19 AM
standard main C: drive, in a folder called 'MP3tobeconverted', into another folder
on D: drive called 'MP3converted'.

as it works easily with say 60-80 files, those locations should have little to do with
it, no? all of them have plenty of space left, too.

greetings, a fairly baffled - heinz -

LtData
01-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Version of dMC and Windows?
Format converting to and from?

heinz57g
01-21-2008, 11:21 AM
sorry i though all this was clear from the previous mssgs, but here once more: MP3 with
a higher (160-320) and some with VBR bitrate into MP3-128s, all with lame 3.97.

WIN XP home latest updates, virus free system as almost isolated from the WWW.

version of dMC i cannot tell offhand, as there is no info or help button to tell (or i cant find
it), but was downloaded/installed from their homepage about 2 weeks ago, so must be
fairly recent.

greetings - heinz -

LtData
01-21-2008, 03:27 PM
See "Need to find your version?" in my signature to get your version number.

If you click the "List/Rename" button in the conversion before you start the conversion, dot the files show up properly there or no?

Also, if you convert all of your files to "Test Conversion", does dMC still crash?

heinz57g
01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
sorry, a more detailed answer in 45 minutes, i am on the wrong computer right now (incl wrong city).

>> See "Need to find your version?" in my signature to get your version number

understood, will do. is it a stupid question, why so difficult? why not an info and/or help button somewhere
in the prog? is there a specific reason?

>> If you click the "List/Rename" button in the conversion before you start the conversion, dot the files
show up properly there or no?

not sure i understand you right. when i start the prog, it starts with the file selection box, all files are
there, can be selected, and only on the next step everything vanishes (if large nbr of files selected).
i get nowhere near the actual dMC prog window.

>> if you convert all of your files to "Test Conversion", does dMC still crash?

will try, but how to get there if the prog screen does not even show up?

crash: once more, it is not a crash as i know it from other progs, like somehing freezings, stopping to
respond, behaving strangely - nothing like that: it just vanishes.

greetings - heinz -

PS: before i forget this, THANKS to all of you for having so much patience with me.

LtData
01-21-2008, 05:25 PM
So you are just selecting your files and before you get to the codec selection screen it crashes?

Try going into dBpoweramp Configuration (again, "Need to find your version?" below), going to the last tab, and enabling Debug mode, then try selecting your files again and after it disappears a notepad document should show up. Paste what it says in here, please.

heinz57g
01-22-2008, 03:47 AM
sorry, did not manage to get back to my computer last night, so the answer is a bit delayed:

(a) version seems to be 10.1, which would mean this is not the latest version. dont know
how this happened and if i got it from a 3rd party page, and later checked the real home page,
but i have only been using the prog since 3 weeks max.

(b) there is no tag, in this version, for a debug mode

did version 10.1 have a max file limit or problem?

so, first step would be to update to the latest version, right? do i have to uninstall the old
one first, or do i just overinstall the new one?

greetings - heinz -

LtData
01-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Uninstall the old version and all of your codecs, then install the newest version, r12.4, and the codecs you need.

Edit: Since you were using dMC r10.1, if you downloaded the codecs from Codec Central, that would explain this behavior, as the main Codec Central is for r12 and newer and r11.5 and older must go to the Legacy Codec Central.

heinz57g
01-22-2008, 10:11 AM
uninstalled the old version, cleaned out registry and folders (incl your little cleaning prog), rebooted a
few times and made sure nothing was left.

bought the 18$ version of dMC, downloaded the *..registered.exe file, installed it. there is no desktop icon
generated, so started it via START -> PROGS -> etc.

similar problem: anything under 750 files converts fine, but if i select more that 750 files, it shows
FILE NOT FOUND, gving the first 12 letters of the file.

the files positivly are there, named normally, and if i change the input directory, it shows a different
file as NOT FOUND.

if i exclude that particular file from the selection, it jumps to the next one as NOT FOUND, and so on and on.

so far will try out only the conversion part of dMC, anything else comes later. but the conversion has
to work as advertised.

greetings - heinz -

PS: installing the REGISTERED file, do is still have to register anything or do anything else, or was that it?
the only codec needed right now would be LAME, and that was included already, no?

Spoon
01-22-2008, 03:43 PM
For large amounts of files use 'Batch Converter' to select.

Installing the registered version is all that is needed.